Rubber roof maintence

Edwin Smith

I have one on mine and was wondering about maintence. I'm sure at some point in time it needs to be replaced, or does it! Do RV service centers do this? How long do they typically last and lastly, is there a trick to determining the right time to do it before is leaks and causes serious damage.
Edwin

C Nash

Rubber roof maintence

Edwin,
I cleaned the rubber roof on my previous 5th wheel with a mild soap, soft scrub brush and plenty of water. I applied Malco when I had it clean about twice a year. Most camping places sell regular rubber roof formulas. I only had te 5th wheel for 3 year so don't know how long they last but, would think 10 to 15 years with proper care. Some recomend just leaving them along but, can't stand the ugly mess that collects on them. Have a friend that has had his for 12 year and no problem other than rips which was not the roofs problem. Follow the owners manuel. Most leaks will occure around vents, ac, and seems.

Shadow

Rubber roof maintence

Chelse, I've heared you talk of Malco before. Can't seem to find it anywhere. We're did you buy yours?

C Nash

Rubber roof maintence

Shadow,
You know me and my spelling :( probably not spelling it right. Most of our local parts stores handle it. I think NAPA handles their own brand but can't recall their name. It comes in spray bottles but, you can get it in 1 gal jugs which is how I purchased mine. Poured it on and wiped off. Left a good looking roof but you might want to check the ingredients (spelling again) as it might have something in it that harms the rubber roof. Sure would be nice to have spell check here. I know, use the dictionary (couldn't spell it until I looked on the front of the dictionary. Never could figure out how to look up a word I don't know how to spell :laugh:

C Nash

Rubber roof maintence

Edwin,
Forgot to answer your question about dealer replacing the roofs. Most any of the dealers should be able to perform this. I know of several that have been replaced due to damage. Would not be afraid to try one myself. You never flew the F4S out of Birmingham did you? Knew a Edwin Smith that flew those great birds before they put them in the boneyard :( Guess there are a lot of Edwin Smiths out there and I finally figured out why there are so many Smiths in the phone book. THEY ALL HAVE PHONES :clown:

John Harrelson

Rubber roof maintence

Hi Chelse,

I used to have a serious problem with spelling some words until I downloaded the FREE program called "iespell"..

Now after I have typed in my post, I simply RIGHT click on the words and then click on "Check Spelling" before clicking on "post new reply".

Fantastic!! program and it's free.. works just like the spell check when using MS Works to write a letter.

go to ... http://www.iespell.com

John

oops, before I mess in my nest, I'd better say hello to SHADOW... hiya Shadow.

Edwin Smith

Rubber roof maintence

Yeah, theres a bunch of us. Kinda like fleas on a dog. The only full scale flying I've ever done is in sail planes (gliders). I regularly fly radio control model airplanes. President of the club and one of the instructors. My main use for the TT is to go to fly-in's around the country to fly and meet new friends. Thats why I bought a TT instead of 5th wheel. I have a camper shell on the bed of my truck and thats my hanger. Just unhook and go flying. Thanks a bunch for the info.
Edwin

C Nash

Rubber roof maintence

In the process of building a P51 now. Started several year ago and have just now finished installing the retracts. Never did any covering but, son has if he can ever get the time. Just got to many hobbies and want to projects. Son just got his pilot license and he went up in a glider the other day. Glider field located about a mile from where I live. Think the wife is afraid I may take this hobby up :bleh:

C Nash

Rubber roof maintence

Thanks John but , would hate to mess up my trademark of bad spelling :eek: I can relate to all of Jeff Foxworth's Red Neck jokes :laugh:

Terry6

Rubber roof maintence

I'm new to the forum and I don't know anything about rubber roofs, but I want to thank you all for the spell check, and the R.C. conections. Thanks again, Terry