rubber roof

krautdog

I'm relatively new to the camping scene, I purchased a 1999 Mallard last year and was wondering how often, if ever does my rubber roof need to be resealed. A friend has an older camper without a rubber roof and he has his resealed every other year. I keep the camper year round in Ohio, if the location/elements have any bearing on resealing. I'd appreciate any advice.

Cheers!

Steve H

RE: rubber roof

From what I read, EPDM rubber roofs do not need any type of sealing. Simply clean a couple times a year to help reduce black streaks and you should be good to go. Some people do use the Liquid Roof or Formaflex coatings but I have never used either. I do wash the roof with a mixture of Murphy's Oil soap and Spic N Span. If I really get ambitious I will spray it with the Thetford conditioner. When things dry out here in WA I will inspect the caulking and refresh those spots looking weather torn.

Best of Luck!

DL Rupper

Re: rubber roof

Rubber roofs only need to be washed with a mild detergent. Whatever you do, DO NOT use a petroleum based cleaner or conditioner on a rubber roof. Bad News.

Steve H

I agree with the petroleum products being a serious "no, no". I hope no one thinks the Murphy's is petroleum based...not that I am pushing this product but I wouldn't use it if it was. Citrus based products are also not recommended. Itried the Murphy'son recommendation from one of the RV manufacturers (I will try to find the document) Murphys is a pure vegetable oil soap! Here is Material Safety Data Sheet on this product!

Anyway...happy cleaning!

Grandview Trailer Sa

I have talked with the Dicor engineers and they do NOT want anything on their roof except mild soap and water. It has a 12 year warranty and it will last that long if you don't mess with it.

NOW, you do need to walk the roof ( I say ) twice a year and check the sealant around the roof, the vents, etc. The sun is hard on it. Be sure the caulking you use is the type for rubber roofs. Typically called "Self Leveling".

Kirk

Ken is telling you correctly. The edges of your rubber roof are sealed with a self leveling caulk that is approved for EDM and it will crack in time and begin to leak. I check mine annually and replace it every third year. That has served us well for ten years now.

DL Rupper

I need to re-condition and coat my slide rubber roofs. My main rubber roof was replaced about 2 years ago, but the rubber roof on my slides is original. I noticed in the current TrailerLife that Dicor has a new 2 step rubber roof conditioner and acrylic coating. Has anybody tried this yet. Need to do something to keep the rubber on slides from rotting. :(

Don't be bashful. Need some opinions. I won't get mad if there are negative replies. :angry: :laugh:

H2H1

now DL you know that no one in this froum is bashful, you will get your directions real soon

Grandview Trailer Sa

Yes DL,
That conditioner is in my new catalog. I have not used it, but I guess after the years it might help. I honestly don't know. I can do some research and get back to you.

DL Rupper

Thanks Kenneth. I need to do something besides procrastinate about it. Since Dicor makes the rubber roofs they should know how to extend the life on them.

rvguy08

I agree with steve. One thing for certain is that you do not use petroleum products on the EDPM roof. Petroleum products will cause the roof material to break down.
Other than keeping the roof clean, there is a coating that can be applied which helps protect against UV rays. It's available, but really not necessary since the roofing material is designed to withstand UV.

Shorty

Here in FL my older one sat outside. Once a year I would get up there and wash with mild soap using a soft brush then re do the caulk. Nasty stuff to make look neat. But my roof is still going strong now since 94. My new one (10 yrs old)But it looks to be in good shape, Have treated it the same way. No streaks on RV side.
The sun down here kills the tops quick if you don't take care of them

krautdog

Thanks for the advise everyone, when we open the trailer next month, I'll give the roof a good cleaning with Murphy's and re-seal the edges and around the vents. The roof looks like it's in pretty good shape. Living in Ohio we only have about 90 sunny days a year so, sun exposure is not a big deal.
cheers!

diverdad

We're kind of in the same situation. Just bought a 2002 Dutchmen that had been parked on a seasonal spot for the last few years. The roof is really dirty and there were a couple of visible small cracks around the vent. Patched those with caulk but we are planning on washing and resealing stuff when it warms up and the snow leaves. :eek: My question is will the soap and water get the roof clean? What kind of chaulk should we use? We are planning on cleaning all the old stuff out first. Thanks.

Steve H

diverdad My question is will the soap and water get the roof clean? What kind of chaulk should we use? We are planning on cleaning all the old stuff out first. Thanks.

Soap and water is still probably the safest. Some people do use Soft Scrub with bleach for problem spots. For me, the roof doesn't have to be showroom new, I keep it clean with the Murphys and Spic n Span twice a season!

For chaulk I use Dicorlap sealants. They have a self-leveling one for roof and vent work and the regular one for vertical applications.

Happy Camping!

krautdog

Thanks for the info Steve, the link was helpful too. I'll pick up some Dicor sealer and I already have Murphy's in the camper. Now I just have to wait until April 15th. when they turn the water on in the park.

Cheers,

Steve H

DL Rupper - 3/18/2008 10:19 AMThe bleach sounds a little harsh.

I agree...I didn't state that well. I do not recommend Soft Scrub with bleach but several people I know do use it on the black mold spots etc. I do not!

DL Rupper

I replaced my original rubber roof after 10 years. It cost $3600 for just the main roof. My slides still have the original rubber on them. I wouldn't want to use any chemical that would speed up the degradation process on the roof unless I just wanted it to look nice and white and I wasn't planning on keeping it for more than 5 or 6 years.

DARLING

Honey gets up on the roof with reg Soft Scrub because of the ease of just squeezing the bottle. He has used the Soft Scrub with bleach 1 or 2 times but mostly after being somewhere there is tree sap and stuff like that.
Darlin :cool: