running lights and some 12V interior lights don't work. Help!!

Sugar

Hi-
We just purchased a 1973 AutoMate Travel Trailer. The turn signals, tail lights and brake lights work, but the running lights don't. Also, one overhead florescent interior light works, but the rest of the 12V lights don't. We have replaced light bulbs, 20 amp SFE fuse in trailer hitch, checked and changed fuses near converter in coach. Still nothing. Help!

ARCHER

Re: running lights and some 12V interior lights don't work. Help!!

Try using a volt/ohm meter to check to see if power is getting to the bulb location. Make sure they connections are clean (36 year old trailer could have corrorision).

LEN

Also on that age trailer the sockets them self can be worn out. Sometimes taking the fixture off and redoing the wire nuts can work. And as above volt meter to see if voltage is getting to the fixture.

LEN

C Nash

Check for good grounds.

Sugar

Great! Thanks! We'll try those ideas. Any thoughts on the running lights not working?

C Nash

All the above but they tend to lose their ground. Check to see if you have voltage and then ck for a good clean ground. Sockets are prone to go out with age. If you got juice, good bulb and a good ground it'll work :)

canadiancamper

RE: running lights and some 12V interior lights don't work. Help!!

Our camper is a 1974, and when we got it almost none of the running lights worked. The contacts were very corroded and no amount of wiggling the bulbs would make them work. Before buying new ones ,I took them off as they had to come off any how, and ran a wire wheel on a bench grinder on the contacts. Out of the 10 lights, I only had to replace 1 of them. I coated the contacts and the ends of the bulbs with electrical grease before putting the covers back on, and so far there has been no problems with them corroding again.
Hope this helps,
Earle