RV Campground Memberships?

sweetcraft

We won a 1 year membership and a gift certificate. Next Wednesday we pick up the package. What's the catch? What should we look out for after the presentation? Told it would take about an hour, why? Anything to look out for before taking the gift and running?

hertig

Re: RV Campground Memberships?

Campground 'memberships' tend to be in the same class as 'time shares' It sounds good, but then the costs turn out to be prohibitive.

To ensure that it is right for you, pay very close attention to the 'fine print'. Where can you stay, when and for how long and how much? Where must you stay, how long and/or how often (often known as 'your home park') What are the yearly and other fees? And what are the provisions for terminating your membershop if you decide it is not for you, or if it changes from what it was when you signed up?

TANSTAAFL (There ain't no such thing as a free lunch). These people plan to make a lot more off you than they have given you. It is up to you to make sure that you get what you want and pay only what it is worth.

TexasClodhopper

Within 3 years of having a pitch like that presented to us, (we declined and they effectively threw us off the property AND kept their cheesy plastic hand-made grandfather clock) the local "share" cancelled all "memberships" and went "condo". They offered "members" a "once-in-a-lifetime" purchase option; first-come; first-serve. (It was in the fine print.)

We were young, but I guess we weren't young enough to fall for their line. Like I told that jerk salesman, "I was born at night, but it wasn't LAST night!"

DL Rupper

We have gone to two of the 1 hour presentations and have had angry salesmen practically throw our free gift at us when we declined to sign on the dotted line. We don't go anymore as we have concluded that John is right TANSTAAFL. The gift campground membership will turn out to have very expensive yearly fees associated with it. Most membership have a clause that won't let you out of the membership's yearly maintenance fees $$$$$. I prefer going to the RV Parks I want to go to, not the few that are in their little group. The whole purpose of RV'ing is freedom to go when and where you want. PASSPORT and Good Sam's are the only membership's I would recommend. Passport gives you 50% off daily fees, with restrictions, and Good Sam gives you 10% off daily fees at their membership RV parks (both Nationwide)They both have small yearly fees (less than $50).