rv clubs

twowiggins

Hi All, We just bought our 1st RV and have been browsing for info on RV Clubs. We wanted advice from everyone on what clubs really bring valuable discounts for a weekend camper. We have a Class A diesel, will use only 1-2 times a month average, maybe 2 vacations (1 week) per year, for the next several years. Our insurance offers roadside assistance so we do not need to join for that type benefit. We would also like to know of any good RV social clubs that are regional as we are new to the Charlotte NC area and looking to meet other people who go RV ing. Thanks in advance!

hertig

Re: rv clubs

For social clubs, FMCA (family Motor Coach Association) has lots of local chapters. You might check and see if your motorhome manufacturer has a club, particularly with local chapters. You might even get a free membership in both of these in the mail from your dealer; I did.

Good Sam Club offers 10% at member campgrounds and other benefits (like a RV specific trip planner). Check the road service offered by your insurance company carefully. They may not cover the specialized equipment and techniques to tow a big rig, and/or may have mileage limitations.

The best discount (without a lifetime of monthly fees) is 1/2 price camping with Passport America. There is a new 1/2 price club pushed by Camping World, but I don't know if it has the number of member campgrounds that PA has.

Be careful of the 'time share' style of RV club. These may or may not offer good values in camping, but they usually restrict when you can and sometimes must use a particular campground, often have a large up front buy in, and you agree to pay the monthly fee for life. These can be purchased 'used' from people eager to get out of them.

DL Rupper

The clubs that charge large up front fees are only good if you travel/camp for long periods of time and you can move every 2 weeks. That's all the time most of them allow you to camp. Then you need to move on to the next one. Also, they are not always located where you want to go.
Best bet is Good Sam and Passport America.

G

I agree with DL if u don't full time or part full time then u'r better with GS or PP JMO ,, i have GS ,, dropped passport cause sometimes it ,, maybe 2yrs before we head out for a months stay or so ,, and they kinda gave me a had time about my sub ,, but again JMO :)

hertig

PA has always been good to me. Usually I can get a discount on membership so it pays for itself in 2 nights. If I am not getting out at least 2 nights in a year, I should give up RVing.

DL Rupper

Just checked into a Jellystone Park and got the Passport America price of $21/night + $4/night cable. We are staying 5 days and Passport is only good for 3 days. The Good Sam price is $37/night + $4/night cable. The Good Sam cost for the extra 2 days is higher than Passport for 3 days. However, without Good Sam and Passport the nightly fee is $41/night plus $4/night cable for a total of $220 + tax. Total with PA and GS was $158.00 including tax. Heck of a deal for sleeping in your own bed for 5 nights. 12 years ago it would have been 1/2 that. Getting expensive even with PA and GS.

NORMALLY I DON'T STAY AT JELLYSTONES. They are good for families, but I wanted cable and wifi and it's hard to get in this part of the country. :eek:

twowiggins

RE: rv clubs

Thanks to all of you for the input. I have been away from the computer for a few days but appreciate your replies. We have decided to not join any camping memberships until we get ready to book a place that offers the discount. With weekend camping mostly, many of these orgs have restrictions that would mean we might not really see any savings. When we get ready to do more fulltime rving we will definately see a benefit. We are going to joing FMCA just for the benefit of the rallies, meeting people, etc. Thanks again!