Rv mechanics(shops)

gamecock fan

I am having a hard time with the service I am getting here in South Carolina. I have had my coach in two different shops over the past three weeks. Both shops made me make an appt and then did little to no work on my coach.
First shop inspected the roof(did no work), changed a few marker lights, fixed a latch on the awning, and a systems test. It took them a week and a half. Not to mention they called and said it was ready and when I show up they had the wrong coach ready.
The second shop inspected the coach thoroughly and found it needed tires (which they dont do), replaced a starter switch and solonoid on the generator(parts came in the next day) and serviced the generator and engine and resealed the roof. Now I understand there is time in the roof but the rest could be done in a few hours. It has been over a week with this shop and they just started the roof today. They also told me they would arange for the tires at one of their vendors and then told me today that I need to arrange it.

I have not said all of this to complain. I actually have not complained to either shop. I am pretty easy to get along with and I understand scheduling.

I just want to know if this is common practice in the industry or have I just had two unusual experiences?

C Nash

Re: Rv mechanics(shops)

Not to uncommon in the rv market but, this time of the year most are pretty busy. Knowing the techs and service manger helps sometimes. Take them a dozen doughnuts :bleh: amazing what this will do sometimes. Think a lot of the problem is finding good help. Ask how long their technicans have been with them. Seems this is getting to be a big problem in all industry especially those that require skill.

G

not to be a smart a-- ,, but in the rv industrie we call this "sun testing" ,, they let it sit out in the sun and see how many days it takes untill u call on the coach ... :eek: :laugh:
But ,, really ,, they should not take that long on anything ,, heck i do onsight stuff and the most it takes me is overnight for a part ,, (but i pay the fees) ,, they could do the same but it comes off their bottom line and effects profit ,, and they don't like that ,, but me i just want a happy customer or 2 :approve: ;) :)
And yes Nash is right ,, the help u find today is the ,, "i don't get paid enough to do that, type" I seen it when i had my auto shop ,,, "i'm not gonna spend time on that to find the real prob. send it to the dealer" now that's not a good attitude to have ,, the rv tech that i brought from my shop was the type that would not give up on a prob,, he says if u don't figure it out ur'self , then u never learn.. and i agree ,, how can u fix problems if u don't want to spend time on them,,, JMO

;) :)

C Nash

730, when I was in the Auto repair I had a student straight out of school apply for a job and he wanted to start as service manger. I also was in a tight for a tech and one came in with certifaction patches all the way down his sleeve. Thought he was the answer to my prayers but, he nearly broke the company before I could fire him. Tore up everything he touched. Auto certification is a joke. best mechanics I had or worked with were those that started at the bottom stayed, dependable, and worked there way up.

G

Nash i agree .. i have seen alot of techs that can take a test and pass it ,, but when out in the shop world ,, if they don't have a step by step manual to show them how to do it ,, they are lost ,, and also if it's into a real ,, ck every wire type situation ,, they bail ,, and say hey u'r not paying me to ck this type of stuff out ,, send it to the delaer ,, they'll ck this prob out ,,,, there is no more adapt and over come type of tech out there ,,, heck when i had my auto shop 3 out of the five that worked there couldn't work on carbs or set a set of points .. all said "they didn't teach us this in school"
The repair industrie is in for a big wake up call IMO ,, cause the way i see it nothing but the simple stuff will get fixed ... That is why i took my lead tech with me when i started the rv shop ,, he can ADAPT AND OVERCOME .. he started just like me ,, and he just turned 58 last Sat ,, he worked for PPL motorhomes in Texas for many years ,, he knows his stuff and likes to learn the new stuff ;) :approve: :approve: :)
And he thinks all the certifications need to be put up in the bathroom ,, cause at least the customers will have somthing to read ,, if it's on paper ,, u better show me that u can do it ,, out in the shop or onsight world :) ;)

C Nash

When I taught auto mechanics I would have around 40 students per year for two year course and I was lucky to turn out 5 good ones a year. Guess that looks bad on my teaching but, just never figured out how to teach common sense. After a 6 wk course on brakes, had a student that got mad at me because I failed him on the brake course. Hands on test of removing and replacing rear shoes. He said he could tear them apart so he felt he should pass. I told him most customers would want them put back together. You guessed it, his mother called and accused me of not treating him fair :eek: Wonder where his problem was :angry:

G

Sorry for the late post Nash ,, but u'r right ,, if the parents don't get involved with the kids ,, then it's up to the teacher's ,, atleast that's their way of thinking,,,but again going back to the repair part ,,, i have 3 techs and myself ,, and all want to learn ,, my lead tech is always fixing stuff the way it should be and then some ,, if he doesn't have a proper part for the application , then he makes it ,, my other 2 are very good at the kinda simple stuff ,, but if they get in a jam ,, they don't bail ,, their not a bit modest enough to ask for help ,, and yes i have gone out on sight a time or 2 to help out ,, i'm not the sit in the office type of guy ,, heck i handle all the stuff at the shop while these guy's are out on location.. and believe me it gets more heckteck at the shop then where those guys are... JMO ,, i've said enough ,, so i'll shut up for now before i get really mad about all this repair stuff ;) :eek: :laugh: :laugh: :angry: