RV Storage Compartments and 3 Easy Ways for Thieves to Prosper

RV Tech

Did you know that I have the keys to your storage compartments in my pocket? Take out your key ring, right now, and examine your compartment key. does it have a number stamped on it? And would that number be, say,CH751 or ES201? You know, with those keys, you could probably open your neighbors compartments, the compartments in the trailer next in line, and so on, to the end of the row.

Now, if I was a thief, any possession that you have stored in those compartments could be mine in a matter of seconds. Also, consider that once I have access to the inside of that compartment, it is an easy matter to lift out the dinette cover, or tip up the sofa, or kick in a panel to gain access to the inside of the unit.

Read the full article at ezinearticles.com

Grandview Trailer Sa

Re: RV Storage Compartments and 3 Easy Ways for Thieves to Prosper

You are correct, but I can tell you that RV'ers are an honest bunch. This is just one reason security at campgrounds is essential. Riff-Raff can be kept out most places.

I also know thefts do happen and we sell quite a few customers locks that can be changed out with keys that are different.

dennis1949

That key also fits most camper shells and special body truck storage compartments

DL Rupper

What we really need to do is tell everone. You know not everybody has that info. Might temp the halfway honest person. I know all the die hard thieves know. But should we tell all the "honest" people" that don't. It might be good info to keep to those with the "need to know". In my "old" RV storage unit (just moved this month) they don't use keys, they just knock a hole in the door with a sledge hammer. Works everytime. :angry: As you might detect I'm annoyed, to say the least, with thieves and the whole situation. My RV didn't get broken into, but I had to pay both my old RV storage facility and my nwew one this month. The break-ins occured (02-02-07) just after I paid Feb's bill and then had to move and pay the new place. Ouch!! I'm still better off than the ones that suffered damage.l :)

RV Tech

My point was that RV storage compartments are not secure and RVs in general are not secure.

A cheap lock on a flimsy compartment door only keeps out the honest people.

Actually Fort Knox is not secure either!

If you have valuables in your RV, then you need to remove them to a safe place when storing your RV. Unless you need these items, leave them at home.

Kirk

RV Tech,
This is a problem in what way? Locks have never kept dishonest people out. The fact is that a stick house is at least as insecure, yet there are not that many problems of theft there. In RV parks the problem is far lower than in any other segment of society that I know of. And how many RV owners do you know that go around stealing from their neighbors? Many of us do not bother to lock the storage bays much of the time anyway.

And by the way, I have seen Ft. Knox many times(our son has been there for four years) and the Fort is in fact an armoured division and training base and it quite secure. I suspect that you are referencing the boulion vault that is located on that Army base. If it isn't secure, nothing anywhere is since you can't even get close to it and if you stop at the fence and get your camera, they do come and take it away from you. But you can drive past on the highway, about 1/4 mile away and see it.

Grandview Trailer Sa

I don't even lock my main door unless we leave the campground. Storage doors are never locked unless I am rolling down the road. Been sitting in my back yard all winter unlocked. Guess I am too trusting.

utmtman

When I lived in the big city I left nothing unlocked ever. Since I now live in the country its rare to lock doors. I know people here who leave the keys in the cars all the time as well as doors unlocked. And besides if anyone wants to get out our gear in the bays of our rvs it only take a hammer and a screwdriver and about three minutes of work to get them open. One is far better to try and get an alarm system to at least scare someone away. Dogs also work good.

Poppa

Gosh I must be tempting a lot of thieving rv'ers when they see the bungy cord locking system I use.

First off what ever I put in the storage compartments is no expensive and easily replaced as the compartments are not the most weather proof things in the world. Second I have to agree there may be a few thieves out there but for the most part we are honest bunch. :laugh:

utmtman

Read a story about a feller the other day who was camped in a KOA camp ground, I believe in Ga. Anyway the story goes that some people broke into his RV while he slept and took his wallet and other valuables. Damn if that isnt brazen enough for ya not sure what is.

RvRover

RE: RV Storage Compartments and 3 Easy Ways for Thieves to Prosper

You would have to be one bold thief to go amongst a bunch known for carrying firearms capable you some serious damage. Still this is a problem that should be fixed. Its not hard to install a lock with a unique key on it in each compartment, just simple laziness.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Something new just hit the market! I just installed Combination locks on my fifth wheel compartments. It is a 3 digit number and you just take out the 751 key locks and install these. I still don't lock them while in a campground though.

They sell for less than 9.00.

DL Rupper

That's my problem, I don't lock my compartments in MOST RV parks. Annoys wifey to no end. I thought wow change out the locks for combo locks. But then I thought why, I don't lock them anyway and I don't keep much in there that costs all that much.:eek:

LEN

I lockem all the time. Having the gold bars in the basement to lower the center of gravity makes it a must. Most of the time they are locked, but in the camp grounds the ones I use are unlocked.

LEN

H2H1

I have never thought about it until now. Everyone have raised a good question on locking things up. I know and met some very honest campers and never locked mine as I am a very trusting person. However since this post I will always keep them locked now as I have doubt now on who I am camping with. :( :( :cool:

TexasClodhopper

The real point of it is that whether you lock your RV's traditional locks or not, they are easily defeated by a knowing thief. At least one with a master key!

Combination locks might help after all.

I only lock mine in parking lots!

cwishert

It really does not matter what kind of locks you use. If someone wants to get in they will. We do lock ours at night when we are sleeping in it but while we are just sitting around or whatever we leave them open. We have it locked up tight at home all the time but just like any vehicle if someone wants in they will get in. :( :angry: :disapprove:

Pillaz

Criminals can get in if they want. It is better to be frindly with your neibors at home and in the Rv parks. I find people at the parks very friendly and we look out for each other. During a recent trip I went out during a thunderstorm to close my neighbors awning and put thier stuff under the RV to remain dry. I saw others doing the same for their neighbors. RV'ers are a freindly and honest group.

cwishert

That is what I think also. I know that if we saw someones things being ruined, we would try to help in anyway possible. There are a few bad eggs out there but for the most part we have found that most people are honest and trustworthy. We don't lock things because of the neighbors but because of the people who do not live in the area and should not be in the area. Luckily we don't have too many of those folks around. :) :approve: