RV Tire Rotation

Judy

We have an appointment to get our 33' Bounder tires rotated. We aren't quite sure of the sequence of the rotation. We are running 8 ply 19.5. However, we had a tire go flat on us(rear outside) and the only tire available at the time was a 12 ply. Sooo, we r running 5 8ply and 1 12ply.
If the front go to the inside rear and the outside rear go to the front, which we understand to be a normal rotation, then we would be running with 1 8ply and 1 12ply on the front.
Does that matter?
TIA

USMC

RV Tire Rotation

Hi Judy, Usually most service manuals that come with you vehicle shows the tire rotation for that particular vehicle.

I know my Dodge dully shows it on mine, with mine if you start on the front right wheel that tire is moved to the back out side rear that tire removed from the right rear out side moves to the inside right rear and the inside dual is then moved to the right front.

After you do that you go to the left side and rotate that side just the in the same manner that you rotated the right side.

As far as using a different size tire I personally do not like to do that, and it can be dangerious depending on location.

Don't forget when you rotate the tires you will then need to change the air pressure in the tires, my back dully tires on my dodge carries 55 pounds in each of the back tires and 65 in the fron't tires, most of the time you can find a sticker on your vehicles door panel that tell you what pressure is required in front and rear tires.

Krazeehorse

RV Tire Rotation

Whichever pattern you choose stick with it. Make sure the tires you are rotating to the front are as good as the ones you are moving back. The steering axle is the critical one. As for the load range differences....air the pair up equally and you will be fine. Don't exceed the max on the 8 ply as it will be lower than the 12. Krazee

Kirk

RV Tire Rotation

Judy,

This is not good advice. It is not a good idea to run two tires of a different rating on the same axle and particularly not on the steering axle. There are a number of reasons but the two main ones are that the load rating makes a difference in what the proper inflation of the tire is. But it is unsafe to iflate tires on the same axle to different pressures, so that creates a serious delima. If you have any doubts, the Goodyear web site has a list of things to check for safe operation of the RV before each trip. Notice the second item on the list.

quote:VISUAL INSPECTIONS - What to look for.
Proper tire size and load range for Gross Axle Weight Rating (available in the vehicle owner's manual or on the door placard)
Mismatched sizes or types (bias/radial, rib/lug, load range)
Road hazard or extensive curb damage in the tread or sidewall area
Wear conditions - alignment, loose or worn parts
Signs of overloaded or underinflated operation
Discoloration or waviness in sidewalls from high running temperatures
Distortion or bulging in the bead area near rim flange
Rapid tread wear on a specific wheel position or axle
Severe sidewall weather cracking
Tire age (can be determined from DOT manufacture date on the tire sidewall)
Storage in direct sunlight or near electrical motor/generator
Chemical damage from petroleum products (sponginess)
Flat-spotting (brake skid)
Condition of spare tire
Acceptable dual spacing
Loose lug nuts or broken wheel studs
Rim width correct for tire size
Assess vehicle for accessories/configuration that could contribute to weight bias/overload and adjust loading or inflation pressure accordingly

Krazeehorse

RV Tire Rotation

Sorry but you are incorrect Kirk. The ply rating dictates the MAXIMUM inflation for that tire. The recommended inflation will come from the vehicle manufacturer. For example if a vehicle calls for LT 235/85R-16 load range D (8 ply rating) at 65 PSI, then an LT 235/75R-16 load range E (10 ply rating) will work fine at 65 PSI. Don't take it to the maximum stated on the sidewall. Going down in ply rating is dangerous and should not be done. Running underinflated tires is obviously dangerous and decreases a vehicles performance. Another thing often overlooked is pairing the duals. They really need to match (brand and wear, not just size). If they don't, the taller one will carry a little more of the weight. If the difference is too much tire failure will be imminent. Now more directly to the question. Assuming your vehicle calls for load range D tires, I would buy matched tires when you replace but I wouldn't care if they were D's or above.

gezzer

RV Tire Rotation

Miss Judy, if I were you I would pay attention to what Kirk has said. He makes it a point to research and get the straight advice before responding. Also, it is common knowledge that you don't mix tire sizes anyplace on your rig.

Krazeehorse

RV Tire Rotation

I've worked in the family tire business for over thirty years now.....guess I need Kirk to come and school me. FYI Gezzer, ply ratings or load ranges as they are referred to now, are not SIZES. They have nothing to do with the size.

Kirk

RV Tire Rotation

Krazeehorse,

I am no tire expert, but what I posted comes from the Goodyear tire web site. If you check Michelin's site you can find similar information. Perhaps you should take the time to educate those people so that they can know as much about tires as you?

Krazeehorse

RV Tire Rotation

A website or pamphlet is great if you want a generic "one size fits all" answer. So I will defer to your well-read expertise. I will no longer offer any advice. If it's in print then that's the whole truth and nothing but. I am a stupid SOB for even thinking I might have known my business. So farewell fellow posters, it's been fun!

TexasClodhopper

RV Tire Rotation

Krazeehorse, if you would have stopped with your experienced advice in the tire business, then this wouldn't have turned into a 'chest thumpin' contest. For instance, ".....guess I need Kirk to come and school me." You don't need to butt heads with anyone just to give your expert advice. If your advice is good, it will stand on its own merits.

Please, if you can't just stick to offering advice and experience, then your post just isn't worth posting. The person that originally asked the question is wondering why they did by now.

C Nash

RV Tire Rotation

Hi Judy, No expert here on the tire deal but, I would not run tires of different plys on the steering axle. Most all of us have opinions but most of mine are just seat of the pants thoughts and some common sense.
Krazeehourse, Don't get so upset when other opinions different from yours and hang around. You have gave good advice and opinions on the forum.

DL Rupper

RV Tire Rotation

Hey Krazeehorse don't give up, half the fun is seeing how many CRAZY responses you get to your offerings. I personally tick half or more of the people off when I get on the forum. But controversey is the spice of life. Dodge diesel smoke smells better :bleh: . That should get a few Ford/Chevy owners excited. :clown:

ARCHER

RV Tire Rotation

Judy, I hope you have been able to filter out your answer from above posts. Sorry about the mud slinging by some, but once in a while some of the folks just get carried away and forget that someone needs help and start taking things personnaly and just can't handle it.
I rotate my tires about every 5,000 miles, and yes, I always make sure I have the same type/kind/ply/etc., on all six tires and that the air pressure is correct (different for dully in rear vs singles in front).
Have fun and be careful.

rlmurraysr59

RV Tire Rotation

I'll give you another perspective. And this one I didn't agree with but it came from Fleetwood.

When I bought my Southwind I called and ask how often I should rotate the tires on the motorhome. I was told not to rotate them. Seems the front ones will lose tread faster than the duals on back so that makes the front tires smaller in diameter than the rear ones they would be matched up with after rotation. I was told to just drive it with the tires inflated properly, watch the load, and keep an eye on the wear to make sure it is proper.

Give me some thoughts on that instruction. It has about 19,000 miles on it.

C Nash

RV Tire Rotation

Most of the time the tires will have to be replaced because of age instead of wear. I think rotating is a waste of money unless you drive a lot of miles. 5 to 7 years and they should be replaced IMO.

DL Rupper

RV Tire Rotation

I concur with C Nash. Most RV's don't travel far enough each year to worry about rotating the tires. To hose of you that disagree, rotate. I'll replace every 5 years regardless. :clown:

rlmurraysr59

RE: RV Tire Rotation

Some good information even with the disgruntled comments. I am wondering why tires have to be replace every 5 to 7 years in this day and age of new composites. I keep my tires covered and properly inflated when the motorhome is stored. Which is a lot in this day and age of Republican Oil Company gas profits. I also keep them sprayed with a UV protectant. Although my Southwind is four years old I haven't noticed any stress cracks or thread wear. I guess if I do over the next two or three years I will replace them. But the tires are regroovable and I have been told they are good for 100,000 miles. I don't really believe that but am not really interested in throwing away a perfectly good tire just because it is 5 years old.

To bad the technology to extract oil from used tires hasn't been perfected to make a profit yet. Guess we will have to wait until there is a large sucking sound coming from the middle-east like an empty milkshake glass.

Travel safe.

TexasClodhopper

Re: RV Tire Rotation

rlmurraysr59, yeah, right. I'm sure DEMOCRATS don't buy stock in "oil companys", too? What does that comment have to do with rotating tires on an RV? Typical ...

CoachPotato

Re: RV Tire Rotation

Clodhopper,

You underestimate the wisdom of angry Democrats like ol' Murray.

Of course he doesn't own oil company stock, he's much too righteous. But he cheers for those enviro-wackos (mostly Democrats) who block every effort to build a refinery, refuse the oil companies permission to drill for our own oil off shore and in Alaska and regulate the living **** out of the oil industry. And when the supply can no longer meet demand... naturally, it's the rotten oil companies and the dirty Republican's who are at fault!

arrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Dale