RV TIRES

H2H1

OK I NEED HELP HERE.... What is the opinion of other RVers with MH on the tires they have on the MH. Looking 2 brands, Goodyear and BF Goodrich. Anyone have an opinion

C Nash

Re: RV TIRES

Hollis I have had good service with the GY we have now so probably will stick with them. Got to take the plunge soon. 7 years now so its time

DL Rupper

Michelin, Michelin, Michelin. I know they aren't made in America, but when it comes to blow outs they are well worth the extra $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. I had lots of problems with Cooper's and GoodYears, but haven't had any problems with 3 sets of Michelin XPS RIB tires. Maybe it's just a 5th Wheel vs Motor Home thing. :laugh: :eek: ;) :evil:

C Nash

Hollis, when you order them tell them you will not accept tires that have been sitting on shelves. Ck dates and get ones that are new. Bad to get those that are already a year old when we have to replace ever 5 to 7 years regardless of how much tread is left.

H2H1

Thanks for your comment Becky, however, since I am not full timing I can't see or justify the extra expense. I only put on 5-6 K miles a year. As I have said to others the MH has 670 RV by Good Year and have 22K miles on them. The DOT date is 2002 but the tires have been well taken care of and showing no signs of ware. The side are absolutely smooth and showing no cracks. I am also leaning on the GY tire as of now if they can get me the DOT date 09 on them.

*scooter*

Hollis, I have Michellin on my MH (4 rear), but they came at quite a cost. In the process of looking to replace my tires, I had a very difficult time getting the Miclellins. On the front I chose Toyo....I know..import etc. But I found they were noticable less expensive and are constructed as well or better than Michellin. In retrospect, I might consider all 6 to be Toyo next itme. JMO.

H2H1

Thanks scooter, never thought of Toyo tires. what dealers sell those?, PS we are skype chat line if u care to join us

vanole

H2H1 (Hollis),
I really think your choice narrows down to two things:
1.) Do I want and RV specific tire? This pretty much narrows you down to G670's, or XRV's.
2.) Am I willing to settle for a regional truck tire? Many good choices here.

With that said each comes with its own baggage. Price, do the virtues of an RV specific tire outweigh the savings of something else? Are the load ranges of the tires the same? What am I really looking at when I look at the inflation tables and specifications of each tire (notice most manufacturers tables have information printed differently)? Do these regional truck tires really have RV applications (I wouldn't go on the salesmans word only)? Is the tire a generally accepted size? What will be the availiablity of a match if I don't carry a spare? The list goes on.

I mention the regional truck tires with RV applications because I was bitten by this. My first M/H (00 Diplomat) came from the factory with GY G159's installed. Had a horrendous blowout with damages to wheel well and side of the motorhome (was doing 58 mph at the time, tires were 3 years old). All you have to do is google GY G159's and read the horror stories about this tire and see that this was one tire that had no RV application what so ever but came as factory installed on many Monaco and Fleetwood M/H's. Additionally Toyo had issues with a couple of there tire lines on M/H's produced by Country Coach and National RV. So bottom line once the dealer suggests a tire hit the web and search that manufacturer and model and see if it has issues.

I don't want to scare you away from regional truck tires. Michelin XZE and XZE* tires look to be a good option. A year ago I replaced 8 tires on my 07 Dynasty (manufacturer will remain nameless and hasn't been mentioned in this post) shopped pretty much Michelin and Goodyear only. I was surprised the Michelin dealer did not even want to talk XRV tires, they pushed hard on the XZE series. Price was not much different so it had to be availability of the tires in my opinion. I asked about the zipper tears etc concerning the XRV's and the salesman said the tire compound was changed and they haven't been having the problem. Think there must be some truth to this because talk concerning zipper tears seems to have died down on th forums. Did not go with Michelin because dealer he would not guarantee tires to be older than 4 months nor would he cut the price due to age.

Ended up getting Goodyear G670's with which were 7 weeks old when I bought them. Was concerned about all the rivering issues with the tires the dealer (Kramer Goodyear) one of the larger operations in the US told me that had a lot to do with alignment and ride height which they checked and corrected upon installation. Both were way out of specification. So far no issues with the tires. Seem to ride smooth even though I read alot about the rough ride they delivered.

Hollis this is also a good time to make your life a bit easier. Don't know if you are running braided extensions to make airing up easier. I flushed those last year and had Kramer put on looong metal valve stems that I can even get the air chuck on the inside duals. Figured this would be one less place for and air leak. Also makes it easier/safer if you are running a stem mount TPMS unit (PP or Doran). Kramer would not powder balance they used weights and spin balance.

Sorry this is some long winded balloon juice but had to swing from a different perspective. Keep us posted on what you end up buying.

Very Respectfully,
Jeff
GO NAVY
Fly Navy

H2H1

Thanks Jeff, you have actually ease my mind. I have read and heard so much from salesmen about what I need due to what they are selling. I have decided to go back to G670 GY tires. But now the problem is getting the DOT date that I want (09). I also have the metal air extender on the rear tires.

This why I love this forum, you can get so much information from those who have been there and done that and don't mind sharing there experience with others.

Once again thanks Jeff

H2H1

well the decision is over. I order 6 new tires for the MH, they are GY 670 just like the one on it now. So I can relax when we take our trip. thanks to all who has contributed to the tire issue. :)

vanole

H2H1,

Congrats on the new tires. I have only put 8k on my year old G670's and am happy with the choice I made. Be safe in your travels.

Very Respectfully,
Jeff
GO NAVY
Fly Navy

vanole

Hollis,

No problem and glad I was able to help.

Very Respectfully,
Jeff
GO NAVY
Fly Navy

*scooter*

Glad for you Hollis about the tire decision. The Toyo tires I mentioned I purchased from a tire dealership called Les Schwab Tires here in Cal. I don't know how far east their stores are, but the tires should be available to most dealerships nationwide. :question: ;)

H2H1

Well my tires are in and going in the morning to have them installed. Boy this has been and ordeal, and glad it is over. The only side problem is the DOT date. Since Good year went on strike last year they are only running(making) the most popular selling tires. So my new tire is dated AUG 08, which shouldn't be a problem since my old one are dated 4602. OK enough said, thanks to all who made comments :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :approve:

brodavid

Good luck also,
And Tex ALMOST struck to Silence, Wow that took some doing,

GOD BLESS ALL