RV TOILET ODOR

tommiller1275

Occassionaly I get a bad odor from the black water tank.I use different odor additives from the RV stores that are supposed to delete the smell.The smell comes rarely.If the trailer is sitting and it;s extremely hot,I smell it.What can I do to avoid this and what can I add to the tank that does not cost a fortune.Thanks.

T.P Miller

rv wizard

RV TOILET ODOR

We are living fulltimne in our coach and use a product called Bio Clean. It is an enzime that eats proteins and we have no problem with odors or faulty sensor readings. At a cost of about $20 ir has about 100 treatments for our 65 gallon tank.

Mike, Amy, Ashley, Candi
2000 Gulf Stream Scenic Crusier on Spartan M.M. 330 hp. 6 spd. Allison
#3 & #8 NASCAR

Kim Bodley

RV TOILET ODOR

Perhaps your problem is that some remnants (nice way of putting that!!) are clinging to the tank rather than dumping when you drain your tanks. Try this tip out. It works like a charm. Just before you are ready to head out on the road dump ice cubes from your freezer (I dumped two trays) into your black water tank with about a quart of water. As you are driving the ice cubes will knock loose anything clinging to the tank. I also added just about a 1 cup of bleach (Purex seems to have less chlorine odor than most brands). My tank remains pure and sweet. This is much easier than flushing, rinsing, flushing, rinsing!

wittmeba

RV TOILET ODOR

If inside:
If this occurs while camping, remember to always leave water in the toilet. Sometimes the bowl seal will leak air into the RV. Keeping water in the toilet will seal the air - after flushing run a little water back into the toilet.

When leaving and after dumping add 3-5 gallons of water and a packet/bottle of chemicals thru your toilet to the black tank. This will create a strong solution and will work all the time while driving to clean the tank.

Pour a little bleach and/or baking soda down all drains (sinks and shower/tub) - these too will provide undesireable smells. Use a little extra here. This will assist in the gray tank cleaning.

Outside:
Make sure your fittings are tight on the RV.

Also, with all the variations of campground sewer holes some fittings work better than others for each type. We always use the foam ring wedge then put a board/rock on top to keep in place.

One more thing...take a look around at other rvs. They may be what is sending the undesireable smell. We had an incident where a rig next to us was dripping from the sewer - we informed him nicely and he immediately fixed the problem. All was well.

Bruce & Carolyn Wittmeier
MikeBrandn@aol.com
2001 Ford F250 PSD, Ext cab, Shortbed, Island Blue/Silver, 4X4 Off-road, Auto w/SOF, Alum Wheels, Chrome Step, Line-X bedliner, Reese 16K slider hitch, Jordan Ultima 2020, AirLift Airbags, Sunnybrook 30RKFS

Edited by - wittmeba on Aug 11 2002 09:28:51 AM

d3215

RV TOILET ODOR

Many RV's have "good" vent fans in the bathroom area. Make sure the "good" fan is not on when you flush your toilet. If it is it will draw odors up toward the "flushee"

Dot Bell

RV TOILET ODOR

I tried a devise called the RV360. You attach it to the vent of your tanks. No Chemicals. Works like a hot dam!
D