RV Wannabe - Question ~ KZ 5th Wheel

TMitchell

I want to retire to full time RV'ing. I'm thinking about a new "Inferno" 5th Wheel toy hauler by KZ (and a new fully loaded Dodge Ram to haul it, but that's a subject for another time).

Anyone have good or bad experiences with any KZ product?

DL Rupper

Re: RV Wannabe - Question ~ KZ 5th Wheel

Hey TMitchell, welcome to the forum. No experiences with the KZ product, but love my Dodge CTD hauler. However, I can't recall hearing anything bad about KZ products. Usually the bad products keep cropping up so as everyone knows which ones they are. It's kinda like you can't see the FOREST or the River for the trees thing. Was that politically correct or not? :evil:

TMitchell

I thinking a 2009 Ram 3500 (not certain of the pluses or minuses of the SLT or Laramie versions). The Inferno is their 40-footer model, so I figured a big, bad diesel like the Ram 3500 would be the way to go.

DL Rupper

Good choice. Make sure the towing capacity is up to a 40 footer. That's a pretty big 5er. You might even need the next larger size Dodge. They (Dodge) now make a chassis cab (Heavy, heavy duty) that you can put a customized bed on it with a 5th wheel hitch. Just something to think about.

TMitchell

Yeah, I noticed that on their web site. I'll check into that. Still a way off from the decision point, so I have time to do a lot more research.

Kirk

If you are not knowledgeable about RVs, you might be wise to join the RV Consumer Group and take advantage of the education that they will supply to their members. The ratings that they do are useful, but the education is where I consider the real value to be.

www.rv.org

hertig

You may want to investigate a 'toy hauler' closely to see if it is suitable for 'full timing'. At least some of them will be designed/built for 'weekend warriors', not full time usage.

TMitchell

Excellent point, hertig. That's the main reason I was asking if anyone had experience with the KZ Inferno.

PushPop

RE: RV Wannabe - Question ~ KZ 5th Wheel

I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 3500...4 dr, 4WD, Cummins...and I can say, "I LOVE THIS TRUCK!!". I only have 40K miles on it...and have only pulled my KZ Durango 289 a few times. Being a dually, it's a bit tough at times to navigate Houston...but it's so worth it. I made myself a promise a few years ago, when I was unable to pull a friends camper, that I'll never be "out-trucked" again. Problem solved. This thing can pull. And I'm getting about 18 miles a gallon in this big boy. I got the KZ a little over a year ago, bought it used, and have been very satisfied with it. Of course, I've only used it a few times but it's been great...and the Dodge exerts very little effort when pulling it.

G

RE: RV Wannabe - Question ~ KZ 5th Wheel

DL will love that post ;) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

C Nash

I was sure by the time I got back DL would be sick of smelling those Dogde diesel fumes and be driving a Duramax. :eek: :eek: :laugh: :laugh: ;) :)

G

well nash ,, was this a dream or did u just think it up ,, u know DL ,, he can't go a day without the dodge diesel fumes ,, heck he even went to one of those substance abuse classes ,, and once they found out what he was addicted to ,, they thru him out ,, and told him never come here again :eek: ;) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :clown: :clown: :clown: :clown: :evil: :evil: :evil:

C Nash

Now I know them fumes are getting to him. Yall better not wave when meeting DL :eek: Both hands on the wheel and get ready to Dodge him :laugh:

G

but Nash u know it's him ,, he's the one with his head stuck out the window ,, trying to get a wiff of the fumes while driving :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
He drives with one hand on the wheel and the otherholding the door ,, that way he can lean WAY OUT to get the fume smell :eek: :eek: :eek: :laugh: :laugh:

C Nash

730, you recond that Dogde is so slow the fumes are keeping up with him or you recond that the fumes he is smelling is really cming from the Ford in front of him :eek: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: