rv water systems

jim1212

The water system in my motor home has not been used for a few years,it was stored with r v anti freeze and now the system has been pickled and the water tastes bad,What can I do to or use to correct this
Jim

Bush70

rv water systems

Flush the system with clean water. Drain it all out. Fill the fresh tank and add a cup of bleach. Go for a ride to mix it up. Run the water through lines and let it set for a day or so. Flush again with fresh water. This should take care of it.

Kirk

rv water systems

When a rig comes out of storage or is being used extensively on a city-water connection, the tank and entire water system should be sanitized before use. Some of the bacterial buildup can cause serious illness; don't take chances!

Drain the water tank completely, then refill halfway with clean, fresh water.

Mix 1/4 cup of household bleach for every 15 gallons of tank capacity in a container with a gallon or two of clean water.

Pour this mixture into the water tank.

Top off the water tank with fresh water. Drive the rig around the block to mix the solution.

Pump water through each faucet so that all the lines are filled with the water/bleach.

The hot-water tank holds at least 6 gallons of water. Run the hot-water faucets until this much solution has passed to insure that the old water has been purged from the hot-water tank, and it is now filled with the water/bleach solution from the water tank.

Let the water stand for several hours.

Drain the entire water system, hot-water tank included.

To remove the bleach odor, mix 1/2 cup of baking soda with a gallon of water and pour into the freshwater tank.

Fill the tank completely and pump this solution through the water heater and the rest of the water lines. This solution can sit in the system for a few days. Driving the rig around the block will slosh water around and thoroughly clean the tank.

turnipbwc

rv water systems

jim1212,
I know I am not the only one who does this. I don't drink the water I carry bottled water and use the tank water for the commode and shower but never drink it. The main reason I don't drink it is just what Kirk said, can cause illness.
turnip42

Poppa

rv water systems

If after flushing the main water tank as the guys have said and if you still have the taste you may have to give it a good old vinigar douche so to speak, depending on how long the anti freeze has been setting and the concentration. The chemicals in the antifreeze seem to permeate some plastics with an oily residue. The vinegar being a low ph acid (around a 2.5 or 3) it will help cut the residues, don't smell real good but it works. Oh as to the flushing process flush with a heavy dose of chlorine (swimming pool shock works well also) then rinse several times with fresh water and you should be ready to go.