RVing in Federal and State Parks

genel

A few questions from a beginner about Fed/State Park RVing.
1.Although most Fed Parks do not have power/water hookups, is the same true for State parks?
2.Most parks have size restrictions. How strictly are these "maximum" length rules enforced? Do they give you a foot or two?
3.Although possibly to broad to answer, what type of "pad" are you likely to find in Fed/State-concrete, asphalt,crushed rock, unprepared,etc.?
Thanks!

C Nash

genel, Most all the parks will have water and elec. in our area with limited full hook up. Most are gravled or blacktop. Some of the corps cg limit the size but, they won't go out and measure. probably limit size just to protect them selfs from law suits in case someone gets caught in tight places and damages their rv.

Bharney

We make it a point to stay at COE,NF,NP,TVA,State,County and City Parks and although there are some of the older, smaller parks that have size restrictions, we have found very few. We have stayed in many, many COE parks and have found none without some hook-up, most water and electric. Most have choice. Most of goverment parks have very good sites. We make one exception as far as COE parks and that is Obey River campground, Dale Hollow, TN That is the only one we will not return to especially on a week-end.
All US goverment parks honour Golden Age passes and a lot of or I should say some of the State parks do. Bill

karen1959

Hi there - I live in CA and I just called to find out size restrictions because we are getting a bigger motorhome. The state parks said that 34 to 35 feet is usually the limit. My guess is they are pretty strict - they always have been about everything else!

Gary B

Hi Genel, Here in the upper midwest/MN. Wis. ND, less then a 1/3 of the campgrounds have electric, and the ones that have it less than a 1/3 of the sites have elect. but we have never let that stop us and really enjoy the state federal & city campgrounds. Sites are seldom paved but never the less good sites as good or better than paved sites. I think the limits on size are more due to the fact that you can't possibly get a larger rig in the site, I have never had anyone come around or ask about the size of our rig, its just that a lot of these campgrounds were layedout in the 60's 70's etc. and the rigs were not as large back then, thus the limits and of course you are NOT aloud to enlarge a site yourself. As the others have posted state and fed CG's can and are very enjoyable, but the popular ones are / canbe very busy in the summer. Good luck. :) :laugh: :cool: :approve:

Kirk

1.Although most Fed Parks do not have power/water hookups, is the same true for State parks?

There are many US parks that do have water/electric connections and a few that have sewer. Most Corp of Eng. have them, some Natl. Parks, and several agencies. Many Natl. Monuments have them. As to states, it depends upon the state. Most state parks do have at least some hook-ups and a few have full. For states check the website under parks and it almost always will tell you. Many county parks also have hook-ups. I suspect that at least half of the public park campgrounds have at least water/electric.

2.Most parks have size restrictions. How strictly are these "maximum" length rules enforced? Do they give you a foot or two?
As fulltimers for three years and RVers for 30 years, we have never been checked for length. But the restrictions can be for several reasons. Often it is due to the length of the sites, since as was stated, most were built when RVs were smaller. But some are due to the roads into the campground. We have seen roads that have turns that are too short for longer RVs and we have also seen dips that the longer RVs can not cross. And we have seen RVs that were hung up on a dip once and on a tree in a turn twice, as well as one that had dropped a wheel off of the edge of the road in a turn, all due to ignoring the length restrictions. So if there is one, check it out before you enter with the RV.

3.Although possibly to broad to answer, what type of "pad" are you likely to find in Fed/State-concrete, asphalt,crushed rock, unprepared,etc.?
I have seen all of those in parks. Some core parks will have paved pads and some states as well. Others have gravel or some other natural material. And we have seen some with just a bare hillside. Again, the internet can help you to determine what is in each park.

Hope that this is helpfull to you. Happy travels!