RVing with Dogs

westcpr

Hello All: Just joined this forum as my wife and I are looking into full timing next year after retirement, with a 2500HD Duramax and 32 ft Hitchiker. Spent many years in the military and want to go around revisiting old friends and places. We also have 2 dogs in our little family, both quiet and friendly Rotweillers. One is 5 years and the other 1 year - both around 80 to 100#. They are gentle and obedient because we raised them that way around our kids and their friends. However, we also know that others don't see large breeds as necessarily safe or friendly.
That's our hesitation about Full Timimg. Can anyone give us advice about RV parks or campgrounds who are animal friendly? are they difficult to find? We don't want to make our neighbors feel uncomfortable. That is why most of our camping has been dry and away from others - just to avoid any problems. If any one has experience or ideas that can help, I'd sure apprecieate your input. Thanks in advance for your time. :) ;)

DL Rupper

RVing with Dogs

Hi Westcpr, Welcome to the forum. We have been fulltiming for a few years and have come across many campgrounds (CGs) that limit size and type of dogs. Many CGs will specify smaller than 25-40lbs. Others will say no attack dogs and will specify breeds. Personally I think the large dogs are more quite than small dogs. We have owned 2 Irish Wolfhounds in the past and I wouldn't even think of trying to travel with a wolfhound even though they are called the gentle giants. Some people are just distrustful of large breeds. The best way to find out ahead of time, whether a RV park will take your dogs is to get a good campground directory and call ahead until you find one that will. Many of the bigger CGs have toll free numbers. I have been in many CGs that didn't have any restrictions on dogs. Good luck.

C Nash

RVing with Dogs

Hi Westcpr, second the welcome. There will be plenty of campgrounds that will allow you and your dogs but as DL Rupper stated it will be best to always ck ahead. Some of the rv cg books list pet friendly cgs. Barking and poop is some of the biggest problems we have encountered. Small dogs seem to be the worse at barking. The Rotweillers do have a bad rep and other campers will probably not be to fond of them but if you keep them on leases and keep their poop up it'll help. Has anyone ever noticed that most all campers have some sort of pets but all the used RVs are listed as no pets or smokers :laugh: ? We campers do always tell the truth right :eek: :laugh: :bleh: :evil:

hertig

RVing with Dogs

Actually Chelse, if you look closely, the ads state that the pets are non-smokers :)

C Nash

RVing with Dogs

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Thanks John. That finally clears it up for me. knew that all us campers were honest :eek: :)

westcpr

RVing with Dogs

Hi Again DL Rupper, C Nash, and hertig: Just to clear things up, our dogs don't smoke, although one did try and eat a firework one time. Probably will not happen again.
Thank you for your input. I feel a little better now about trying to manage full timing with the dogs. If everyone has the good will and sense of humor you have shown, we'll be fine. Look forward to meeting you some day. thanks again. Ken Anderson. :laugh: ;) :laugh:

ARCHER

RVing with Dogs

Ken,
They are part of the family I bet. Our neighbor has a Rottie and he is about the friendliest dog on the street. Most are scared of him, but he is a big baby. We have lost two goldens in the last 5 years (most recent was April 12th) and now only have a cat that travels with us, but she is over 15 and slowing down. I really miss them both, but especially the current one...she was my buddy (found her as a pup in my yard (she got dumped) and she was my shadow since them). They found cancer in her this past winter while in Florida. We got her home in time to enjoy her own yard for a few weeks and then she had to leave us to cross the "Rainbow Bridge" and be with all the other loved animals/pets from the past. We'll see them all again someday...... ;)

C Nash

RVing with Dogs

Westcpr, Bet he got a bang outta that smoke :eek: :laugh: No wonder they are obedient :laugh:

Kirk

RVing with Dogs

As you travel you do need to be aware of the dog issue. There are parks that say no dogs, some that have size limits and many now do not accept specific breeds. Right or wrong, the two most commonly refused breeds are Pitbulls and Rotweillers. You can probably do OK as long as you check with the park before arrival. Most parks do say if there is a dog restriction in their directory entry, but you need to check since the park does not control what is in the directory and could say no when you arrive. A phone call before arrival would take care of that issue.

Cryzmath

RVing with Dogs

My partner and I have enjoy traveling with our two wonderful lab/retiever mixed dogs before we had to put the older one down (acute lukemina). We did not have much difficulties in most of the parks, except for one in California which we won't recomend cause their advertisment said nothing about pets. It is true of what the other's have said - check ahead of time and be clear with them what you expect your dogs to do at the park - will they be in the rig all the time, tied up to a tee pole, and etc. It is true that most of the huge complains are dog poop/urine on properties and barking-aggressive behaviors. If there is a quiet time - stick to it because it will help out a lot! Most of all - you'll be suprised how many of the campground owners themselves are owners of large dogs too! Good wishes and happy wagging! :cool: