safe travels

reece

H1! WE ARE NEWBIES PLANNING TO TRAVEL FOR 12 MONTHS WITH 2 BOYS (8 & 13), HOME EDUCATING EN ROUTE.

AM ALREADY IMAGINING ROBBERS, KNIFE POINT RAIDS AND WORSE!!!

ADVICE AND REASSURANCE NEEDED URGENTLY!!!

REECE

Gary B

safe travels

Hi reece, welcome to the forum and rving, please don't use your caps all the time. Now for you worries don't if you stay at campgrounds, 99.9% are secure and good places to stay and meet folks from all over. In 25+ years of rving we have never had a bad experince, we have stayed a a few campgrounds we wouldn't recomend or return to but its very few. I se your from the UK so don't take our news haedlines as a guage of what the country is like, as any country or city any where in the world there are bad places and areas, even they are isolated. Happy travels to you and your family. :) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: :approve:

retlveit

safe travels

Welcome to America Reece! I have to echo Gary's comments. I've been coast/coast and border to border a couple of times and it seems a jillion places in between and have yet to be threatened by anyone or anything. I've heard about people being robbed and stuff but it hasn't happened to me, or any of my friends. If it was possible to get a statistic on that I betcha it would be a pretty small percentage of RV'ers that are robbed or have "people trouble". (depending on the area of course!) Your boys will have a lifetime of memories! Good parenting and way to go!

In the states using upper case is akin to shouting. Use it when your reporting a fire or something! :)

reece

safe travels

Dear Gary and Tom,

Sorry I gave you earache with the caps!!! Your comments are geatly reassuring: from the message boards we've viewed, there certainly seem to be a lot of interesting and friendly folk out there. You're absolutely right: a lot of the TV programmes and news headlines give the impression that you'll be mugged the minute you're off the 'plane!

We're so excited about Rving the USA! Currently giving the US embassy all the info. they need to allow us to travel. We plan a budget of $1750 per month (RV paid up: this to cover park/site fees & daily expenses): we hope this is realistic!

Best Wishes

Alan & Jane (Reece!)

Gary B

safe travels

Hi reece, sounds like your getting things in order, I would think $1750.00 would be realistic, and yes you should / will meet many friendly & interesting folks,I know we have met many folks from all over the US that we now are friends with and look forward to visting, no problem with the caps we just wanted to let you know, Have a great trip, let us know about your travels if you get the chance!!!!!!!! :) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: :approve:

brickem

safe travels

Hi reece. We are also from the UK and spent last summer RV'ing around California. We had no trouble at all. In fact we had a fantastic time - that's 2 of us + 3 kids. Everybody was really friendly and I would definitely do the trip again if I had the opportunity.
Good luck.