Sales Tax when buying an RV

DuallyDave

I live in Washington State, Oregon State next door has no sales tax. I'm wondering if I can save a lot of sales tax by buying a truck camper in Oregon, or if Washington will hit me up for some "Value Tax" or some such thing. Since the $30 car tabs, I know things have changed. Any Washington residents out there that have done this?

Dave
2001 F350 CC DRW diesel
97 Bigfoot 2500 10'6"

buckbs

Dave,

I cannot answer for certain about Washington and Oregon, but I will tell you what happened to me. In the last two months, I purchased a new truck in Mississippi, and a new fifth wheeler in Florida, where taxes are lower. I live in Alabama.

When I bought my tags for the truck and the fifth wheeler, Alabama charged me the difference in taxes. It's a case of "pay me now or pay me later". You can't get the best of the "tax man" or the "grim reaper". They both will get you sooner or later.

buckbs

wert

Dave, I was going to register my coach in Montana, no sales tax, but my insurance said I had to insure the coach in the state or go thru a ins. broker! I paid the sales tax & stayed with my local insurance. But if I was going get a new Blue Bird-ha, I would buy a few acre's in Montana as part-year resident and save 30k. Rick

thumbs

I don't think so.

You pay taxes where your "legal address" is. Buyin a couple of achers somewhere and livein somewhere else "ain't" gonna do it. I bought a sail boat and keep er on the Chesapeake. I payed Pa tax for er. Maryland they wanted me to pay them tax also because I keep er in Maryland. Because my legal res is in Pa I didn't have to but they sure tried.

Gary

Souderton, Pa

Looie

The answer is yes,washington will hit you up for the sales tax. I've been a Wash reisdent for 28 years