sales tax

hertig

sales tax

I don't see how they can. If you are not a resident of the state, and the purchase is handled out of state, by an out of state dealer, and delivery it taken outside the state, they have no jurisdiction to charge 'Sales' Tax. Doesn't mean that they won't have some other tax, like a 'luxury' tax or 'personal property' tax or 'use' tax when you 'move' to Texas. Certainly they have an 'inspection' requirement for all vehicles registered to Texas.

airstream9161

sales tax

You did not get my meaning. I plan on becoming a resident of Texas and want to know if they charge the sales tax on a vehicle purchased out of state prior to residency in Texas like they do in South Dakota. S.D charges 3% sales tax on any new vehicle or used vehicle whether it is purchased in S.D. or out of state when you become a new resident of that state. Thanks for any info.

Kirk

sales tax

It depends upon how long you have owned the vehicle before you become a Texas resident, but if you do get charged Texas sales tax it will be 6.25%, less the amount that you have already paid to your previous state. I know that there is a point in time that they do not charge the sales tax, but I am not sure just how long that is. But I do know how to find out. If you call the folks below, they will be happy to help you, and if you plan to be an Escapee, they can ever tell you exactly what it will cost to register your vehicle.

For Tax Billing Information and Auto Registration:
Tax Assessor’s Office
416 N. Washington
Livingston, TX. 77351
936-327-6801

s.harrington

sales tax

Like Washington Most states will not charge you sales tax on a vehicle you have already paid sales tax on while living in another state. However if you are living in Georgia and buying in South Dakota and moving to Texas that is a different story.

airstream9161

sales tax

I live in Oregon and will buy the motorhome prior to moving to Texas. There is no sales tax in Oregon. That is why I want to know if Texas will charge me a sales tax when registering there. My main reason for residency in another state is to not pay Oregon income taxes when I retire. I want the most tax friendly state for a full time rv owner.

Kirk

sales tax

airstream9161
Texas will charge you sales tax if you buy the RV and then register it in Texas soon after. There is no state that I know of that has a sales tax who does not do that. If you own it long enough, then probably not, but you would have to own it for a while. If you call the county at 936-327-6801, they will gladly tell you just what the rules are.