Sat Cable Hookup

ARCHER

Can the cable coming from a Sat Dish hook into the outside normal Cable TV connection and then run the line from the inside connection to the Receiver? or Does it have to go directly from the dish to the receiver? I assume if can go thru the outside cable tv connection to the inside connection, you can switch between cable tv (Sat) or local (antenna) using the inside switch, correct?

srobbins

Sat Cable Hookup

It will depend on what kind of coaxial cable your rig is wired with. Satellite systems require RG6 coax, while some of the older basic cable systems were run with RG59. Of the two, the RG6 is better. If the cable between your outside outlet and inside outlets is RG59, your satellite system may not work properly. However, if it's RG6, then I'd agree with Krazeehorse that it should work.

ARCHER

Sat Cable Hookup

How can I tell if I have RG59 OR RG6 coax cable inside the motorhome? It is a 89 Winnebago Chieftain. Probably the older RG59 from way back then. Can it be replaced (if I can get to the route it is run inside the MH)?
I have two cable outlet connections inside (1) up front where you can flip the switch from cable tv to antenna (has a power booster) and (2) in the bedroom (has a 12volt plug beside the normal coax hookup, but no switch).
By the way, thanks for the input.

DL Rupper

Sat Cable Hookup

Hey ARCHER, before you go to all the trouble of replaceing the cable, try it. It may work just fine. I've been told that it is no big deal to have the old RG59 cable.

JD Tractor

Sat Cable Hookup

You can use RG59, short runs only. I have used up to 150' of RG6 with no problems. If you have a splitter in line, it will not work, you can not have a splitter inline between the dish and the reciever. I would try it and see what happens, worse case you will have to replace the RG59 with RG6. The difference in the cable is the loss per foot, the RG6 has less loss per foot than the RG59. Hope this helps.

C Nash

Sat Cable Hookup

Archer, some will not work through the antenna booster without modifing it. If you have the booster you can call and they will tell you how. Had to on the 5th wheel we had and it worked fine. Something about the voltage I think.

Kirk

Sat Cable Hookup

Archer, the RG59 is usually OK for what you want to do because the length is pretty short. RG6 is basically the same coax, but better quality. That's pretty general, but effectivly true. There is one thing that could be a poblem however. If your cable connection has a splitter to send the signal to the fornt and the reat TVs then it will not work as the splitters won't pass the power from the receiver to power the LNB on the TV dish. But if you have only one TV, or if the cable comes to a selector switch first, and then to the two different TVs, you should be able to put the receiver between the selector switch and the cable input and it should work. That is what is done in most RVs that have a dish. You will need to bypass the dish receiver in order to use the cable connection when in an RV park that has it if you put the dish receiver in.