Sat TV for Rv question

RayinTampa

Someone out there with more info than me might help me out here. I'm thinking I don't need to pay for Cablevision at home when I'm on the road in my RV. Can I not subscribe to Direct TV at home. Wire the RV up with a sparate dish on a portable tripod and just unplug my home DTV receiver with it activated card and move it out to the RV and use it as I travel and then move back into the house when I return home. My thinking is I wouldn;t have to pay extra for the RV. Will this work? Or will I find that my access arthorization is limit to certain areas of the country?
Thanks
Ray

team3360

Sat TV for Rv question

Yes ray you can do that, I have dish network at home and we have a sat.dish on a tripod for the 5er. I purchaced a receiver on EBAY to leave in my 5er but that is just for convenience. I have to pay the extra $ 5.00 a month fee for the box but I'm going to use it in my garage.My 5er is set up as a seasonal away from home and dish wanted me to sign another contract for service in my 5er for that location and I refused.Thats why a purchaced my own receiver. the receivers in the house belong to dish (free 4 room hook up). as far as access it will work anywhere , as long as you can set to connect to the sat.buildings, terrain and trees are a problem you have to look out for when setting up you dish each time you move . LEE

Kirk

Sat TV for Rv question

Just keep in mind that if you have the local channels on your service, you will loose those once you get about 100 miles from home. That is because they are "spot beamed" and are different in each area. We who fulltime choose to get the networks from one of the major cities that are available all over. But there is no reason not to do what you want. Both dish companies supply service that is pretty much the same and either can do what you want to do.

team3360

Sat TV for Rv question

Kirk, do you have a different kind of service, you said "you get yours from a network in a big city "I new the local channels would not work but is there some other system/service to pick the locals from place to place. I couldn't get mine to hook up at disney this winter, but I was blocked by trees . thanks for the insite, BUT I'm interested . LEE

jwood

Sat TV for Rv question

quote:Originally posted by RayinTampa

Someone out there with more info than me might help me out here. I'm thinking I don't need to pay for Cablevision at home when I'm on the road in my RV. Can I not subscribe to Direct TV at home. Wire the RV up with a sparate dish on a portable tripod and just unplug my home DTV receiver with it activated card and move it out to the RV and use it as I travel and then move back into the house when I return home. My thinking is I wouldn;t have to pay extra for the RV. Will this work? Or will I find that my access arthorization is limit to certain areas of the country?
Thanks
Ray
We live in a very small town and when we finally got cable we thought it was all that. But soon found out it was awful. And the price kept going up. So when I bought Directv about 1988, we had to fib and say that the cable didn't get to our house.
We have been taking our reciever with us in our camper for a long time. Now we have a permanent site but we still just take the reciever from home plug it in and turn on the tv.
I don't have local channels because we live so far from our "local" and I am so used to being able to have an east and west feed I would miss not knowing what was going on in NY.... But friends of ours have their camper there and they have DishNetwork and local channels and they get a long fine .....BTW when my daughter moved she got a new Directv dish and we just took her old one to use with the camper.
I love it. Just like home.....lol....
Have fun.
Janet

jwood

Sat TV for Rv question

We have been taking our reciever with us in our camper for a long time. Now we have a permanent site but we still just take the reciever from home plug it in and turn on the tv.
I don't have local channels because we live so far from our "local" and I am so used to being able to have an east and west feed I would miss not knowing what was going on in NY.... But friends of ours have their camper there and they have DishNetwork and local channels and they get a long fine .....BTW when my daughter moved she got a new Directv dish and we just took her old one to use with the camper.
I love it. Just like home.....lol....
Have fun.
Janet
quote:Originally posted by RayinTampa

Thanks
Ray

SnowbirdInFlight

Sat TV for Rv question

Hey RayinTampa we're in Hurlburt Field, Fl (Mary Ester) and we needed some t.v. to watch as our ant. only picked up one station - badly! So we were referred to Joel Douglas of Satellite Beach, Inc.. I called and he came out the next day, set up my Dish satellite, and I get local channels from one of five big cities (I picked Chicago, since we're from Illinois). You can get these local channels no matter where you are. Don't know if you can get the same deal but call Joel at 1-866-734-3474 and I'm sure he will let you know how you can get set-up too.

BTW - Set-up was free (I paid $49.99 when he set me up but that is credited back to me on first bill.)

RayinTampa

Sat TV for Rv question

Thanks for all the great input guys (and gals). I think I'll give the bad ole cable company the boot and get signed up with DTV and save some money to the process.
Ray

smity1373

Sat TV for Rv question

I just baught a motorhome with a Datron Curise STS model 205 satellite dome. This is an in motion dish. I too have the four Dishnet receiver system in my home. I took a receiver out to the motorhome and it just keeps l9ooking for a signal. I called dishnet and they said that the receiver I have will work but that it needs to be set up. They wouldn't tell me how to set it up unless I agreed to another subscription and programming fee. The receiver is a model 311. Does anyone know how to set up this receiver?

Jerry Bowers

Sat TV for Rv question

Smity, I think I have a receiver 311 and it is a single reciver not a dual. Anyway, I bought a receiver from Radio Shack for the RV and let Dish furnish and install the house dual receivers.
The 311 will have to be activated with Dish and they will charge about $5.00 month for the extra receiver. You should be able to find a signal before calling them. Go into installation, set up, dish signal. Once a signal is found, you can see channel 100 (I think) which is their advertisment chanel. At this point, you call and activicate. It takes a few moments before you get the other chanels.
You should get this one chanel without calling them and know your system is working.

team3360

Sat TV for Rv question

He says he has a 311 box already so he just needs to get the dish set to the right settings. I copied my reply to your other tread . this is what I did to set mine up. If you have dish network and a 311 box theres a reset on the front of the receiver , push and hold till the receiver goes off and comes back on, this will reset the receiver, then hit menu on the remote,that brings up a list , one should say "system setup" hit that, next list "install", next list "point dish", next page will give you your settings by zip code( you enter zip code from area you are in and it will give you the settings for the dish set up. (I'm not familier with your dish set up or how to set up your dish.Can you give it the settings (angle,skew,azmerth) and it will set up itself.)if so I think you have to scroll to the check switch button , and press that. When I set mine up, I called the local dish network store in my town, (privately owned) not the 800 number you called and I had the local guy set up my dish . I bought my dish (dish 500 pro, same as at home) from him and he came out and set up my 5er at the campground, and only charged me $35.00 labor. You may need to do that but I'm not sure. DONT CALL DISH NETWORK 800 # (They do want you to pay twice) CALL YOUR LOCAL DISH NET INSTALLER (LOOK IN YOU PHONE BOOK) AND CALL THE LOCAL GUY HE CAN SET IT UP. HOPE THIS HELPS LEE

smity1373

Sat TV for Rv question

Lee thanks for your reply. I called several local guys. No one had a clue as to how to set it up. I could not find a reset button on my receivers. I was able to get to the menu's you spoke of but they were no help. I worked at it for several hours. My dome is an in-motion one. There is only an on off switch and coaxial cable. I can not manualy point the dish even though it did give the coordinates as you said it would.

team3360

Sat TV for Rv question

My 311 box has a power button on the front,that is also the reset button . push and hold that button till the receiver goes off and you will hear a click ,this should reset the unit. Do you have any instruction on your dish, as to how it gets its directions for which satellite. dish receives on sat 110 & 119 . I dont know how your dish is to get settings to track those satellites. LEE

smity1373

Sat TV for Rv question

I just received an e-mail from ASA Electronics which has purchased
Datron satellite division for RVs. The service tech told me that the model I have is set at the factory for DirectTV. Thank for your reply Lee