satelite dish

SherryS

We have just purchased our first RV. It is a 27' 5th. wheel. We would like to purchase a satelite dish for our new unit, but we are unsure as to which kind to get. We have been told that an ordinary home satellite dish set up on a tripod works just as well as the more expensive roof mounted dishes. Any suggestions as to which one and which way to go will be greatly appreciated. SherryS.

Browzin

Re: satelite dish

We use a standard home dish with tripod mount. This allows us to be parked in the shade of trees without having a problem of seeing the satellite due to tree limbs, leaves etc. The roof mount units are more expensive and are easier blocked by trees an limbs.

TexasClodhopper

Here's what we use and it works great. Stores easily in the slideout bay, also. 10 minute hookup (or faster!) It won't blow over, and it causes some local conversations.

http://www.bbrv.dreamstation.com/sat.html

Build it yourself and take your receiver from home along with you. With DirecTV the only thing you lose if you get to far away from homebase is any 'local' channels that you have paid for (but who needs 'em!)

DL Rupper

Do they have a contract for Full-timers that don't have a home base and land line telephone? The reason I ask is that they (satellite companies) seem to want a land line telephone number and want to sell 2 or 3 receivers. Only need 1 receiver. :clown:

Yeah, only got 3 weeks left before we are on the road again. We usually stay at RV Parks that have cable, but it's nice to have other options and be able to stay in State/Nat'l Parks. Besides we are going to spend the summer in the North East States and Campgrounds back there don't tend to be very modern and have cable.

C Nash

Doggone you Tex, why did you wait until I went and bought one of those little tripods to post yours. I set mine up in the yard and the first wing blew it over. That little screw spring and bungee cord is a joke. Fixed it though. Drilled holes slanted in each leg and staked it down. Had a hard wind last night and it's still standing. Just might be hard to drive a stake in concrete :laugh:

TexasClodhopper

I've seen wind hard enough to blow mine over ... Hurricane Rita! ;) I just wish I was smart enough to think of this rig first. Chelse, you just missed my bragging post about this rig two years ago. Don't blame me! :laugh:

The advantage to the tripod mount is that it can fold and take up less space. I built my rig with glue, but dimensioned it so it fit right in one corner of the slideout bay. I could have left a joint or two unglued, so it could be broken down to fit anywhere. It's just less trouble this way. Things fit around it in the bay.

DL, we just moved the house receiver (replaced it in the house with a DVR type) out to the MH. It's 5 or 8 dollars per month more for the extra receiver. No phone line is REQUIRED unless you purchase something like pay-per-view, but then you can just call them. I've been nagged on my home receiver about hooking up to the phone line, but never have on my MH receiver.

C Nash

Well now Tex, you don't expect me to remember two years ago do you :laugh: I also got the second receiver from direct tv for the MH. Cost extra 5 bucks a month but didn't want the hassel of moving back and forth. Had dish but switched to direct which is a lot eaiser to aim IMO. JUst turn the tv up loud and listen to the beeps while pointing. Compas helps when I am in a new location and the sun is not shinning.