satelite question

Floridariz

Hi Folks!
Could anyone tell me if we got a satelite on our rv, could we use it at home as well? In other words, is there some way to come off it and connect to internet from in the house?

I hope that is not too basic of a question!

One more thing, what does it cost to set up and monthly fees?

Paula

hertig

Re: satelite question

First of all, there are 2 types of satelite. The one you see on many RVs is download only, for TV. It requires a different, bigger, dish and a different company to get internet service. You see these occasionally, but not nearly as often as the TV dishes.

I believe there are only 2 TV services and 2 Internet services, so the choices are moderately simple. Once you get the service, the simplest thing is to install a second dish and second receiver in your house, and have at it. If you are 'cheap' and have the time and inclination to mess with it, of course you can run a cable from the output of the dish on your RV or the output of the receiver to your house (assuming they are next to each other) and use the service in the house. Another option for the internet service is to have a wireless router in the RV, and a wireless hookup in the house.

Since you mentioned internet, I'm going to guess at the prices. They may have dropped since the last time I looked into it; perhaps someone who actually has the service can provide the current pricing.

For an automatic dish, I think you are looking at around $5000 - $7500 for a setup on the roof of your RV. For a manual dish you set up on the ground and aim yourself, its probably more like $250 - $500 for the hardware. I think the monthly charge will be in the $75 - $100 a month range.

Note that the speed will be better than dialup, but not as good as DSL/cable. You might also want to consider using a cell phone for internet. Most of the companies provide unlimited internet for about $60 a month, either through your phone or a separate 'air card' for your computer.

JimE

RE: satelite question

My RV did not have a satellite system and a friend offered me a spare dish and receiver if I would pay him the $5 a month fee he has to pay for having each receiver on his home system. I have to re-point the dish each time I set up which takes about 10 minutes max to do. You could do the same if you have a current satellite system at home or find a good friend who does.

TexasClodhopper

Be careful, Jim. That kind of use is a violation of your friend's contract. I guess he doesn't mind doing that.

utmtman

Heck with most tv companies the satellite dishes are free. If you have direct tv or dish tv you can get the dish setup on your house. But then you have to pay for the box. Of course you could just bring your box in to the house. I bought the auto scan satellite for my rv and instead of messing with moving boxes and connecting and disconnecting I just bought boxes for both. Before I bought the dish for the rv I used to hook a cable from my home internet to the rv, than use another box from the house in the rv for company. Also I have one of them portable dishes I bought for the rv and after three trips and attempt after attempt to get the tv on the portable I bought the auto scan satellite for the rv. I found that I just was not a rocket scientist when it came to trying to set one up and bring in the signal.

Kirk

Could anyone tell me if we got a satellite on our rv, could we use it at home as well? In other words, is there some way to come off it and connect to Internet from in the house?

I thought that you might like an answer from someone who has actually done what you are asking about? I have used satellite TV for our fulltime RV home for three years now and have had Internet by satellite dish for a bit more than two of those. I also have my TV reception from the Internet dish. If that qualifies me, here is my answer to your questions. First, there are two companies that serve the dish Internet market. They are Starband and Hughes Satellite. The prices are similar but the services do vary some. There are some advantages to each, but I won't get into that here. Basically, if you go with a roof mounted Internet dish, it will be fully automatic and will cost you about $5K installed and $100/month for service. You can't do much to use one of those in your house when not traveling. But if you go with a tripod mounted, self aimed dish, those can be used just about anywhere. The equipment for one of those can cost anywhere from about $800 to as much as $1500 or a bit more and the quality of equipment is just as wide ranging. The cheap units can be very difficult to point and they do not usually have much dealer support. The best quality equipment usually also has the best dealer support and I would not suggest that you get a cheap one as most buyer live to regret that. The monthly fee for Starband is $55/month and Hughes is $60/month. The most important part of any portable dish system is a good dealer who has good customer training and support. If you have good equipment and proper training you can set one up in 15 to 30 min.

While you can get your TV from that same dish, it requires a separate kit which you must buy and add to the internet dish as the one for internet is much larger and more adjustable to pointing. The TV also is supplied by two different companies and they are not the same companies that supply internet. The two are Dish Net and Direct TV. Neither one has equipment to add it to your internet dish and they will come with a separate dish and receiver. If you wish to add it to your internet dish, then you will have to do that, yourself.

It is very easy to use a portable internet dish when you are at home since you will be trained to set-up and point the dish yourself. It just means that you will need to run the wires to connect the dish into the house, move the receiver into the house and then set up your dish where you can anchor it well and just let it sit until your are ready to travel again. There are many users who do just that. That same thing can be done with the TV dish. You will have two separate bills, one for the internet and the other for the TV service.

Benje677

I have DirecTV at home and have an extra dish that is mounted on a tripod. What I can't seem to find is instructions on how to poinyt the dish. I have a really good GPS and am fairly tech savvy.

Does anyone know of a good resource or tool to deterime where to point and inclination?

Thanks in advance,

Benje

TexasClodhopper

My pointing information always comes off of the DirecTV receiver setup. It asks for zip code and gives you the details. I use a compass to get close, then listen to the "clock tick" from the TV. Works for me.

Browzin

Benje677
Go to this web site and down load the Sat. lookangle calculator.
http://www.datastormusers.com/lookangle.cfm
It is written by Don Bradner, he has done a fantastic job of making this program work for almost any sattellite. Just enter your GPS location or Zip code and it will not only tell where to aim the dish but show you as well with a picture.

SnowbirdInFlight

Benje677 - 4/8/2007 10:03 PM I have DirecTV at home and have an extra dish that is mounted on a tripod. What I can't seem to find is instructions on how to poinyt the dish. I have a really good GPS and am fairly tech savvy. Does anyone know of a good resource or tool to deterime where to point and inclination? Thanks in advance, Benje

We have DISH and we bought a Meter from our Dish Rep for about $75 and it was well worth it! We just hook it up after adjusting the correct az, skew, and height, and it gives us the correct reading showing we are getting the signal. Check with your Dish/DirecTV Rep.

deniloo

We ordered a satellite finder from GTS (Grandview Trailer Sales, he's on the forum here) It wasn't very expensive and it works great. In just a few minutes we have TV. We have a portable dish and bring our Direct TV box with us.

ChevRock

I have been contemplating using a Dish and am torn about whether to put it on top of the trailer or on a tripod. The pros and cons seem fairly obvious. If I install it on top of the trailer it will be much more expensive and could possibly be under trees if the site is in the trees--blocking the view to the heavens. If it is on a tripod (much less expensive) I can position it with some flexibility, but it starts off lower to the ground and possibly hidden in the trees anyway. Who has experience with both and what else am I missing?

Thank you all!

Make it a good day!

The Swift

I'm based in the UK and the major hype over here is the digital set top box,(it is capable of picking up a digital signal via your analogue signal) they cost around $40 and you can pick up 40 channels in a reasonble good reception area, not sure if you have these things stateside but though I would let you know :) :)

hertig

I got mine at Camping World, about twice that cost. Sure does produce a nice picture from my crappy non-directional antenna. Lots of channels in the big markets, few or none out in the boonies.

RV Tech

I have the Hughesnet satellite dish mounted on a tripod that I am using at home ... soon to be full-timing and will take it with me. Setting up and aiming the dish takes about 20 min's and improves with practice. I also have the TV attachment but have yet to "play" with it.

Check my web site for pictures of my equipment and set up ... I am developing my system to run completely free of hookups of any sort and to be powered by the sun!

http://www.rv-satellite-internet.com

Kirk

Been using my Starband dish for internet now for almost three years and added a "Bird on a Wire" kit to get my Dish Net after about six months with the internet dish. We love our set-up. And there is no reason that it could not be used at a house when not traveling. All you need to do is to mount the dish either on your tripod, or on some permanently mounted pole, move the dish-modem from the RV into the house and you should be "good to go." The easiest way to do this would be to also connect your dish-modem to a wireless router and not fool with cables. That would make it very easy to move between a house and an RV. And if you choose Starband, you can even be certified as your own installer and receive tech. support direct from the company support folks. The really do a great job.

Browzin

ChevRock - 9/25/2007 11:33 AM

I have been contemplating using a Dish and am torn about whether to put it on top of the trailer or on a tripod. The pros and cons seem fairly obvious. If I install it on top of the trailer it will be much more expensive and could possibly be under trees if the site is in the trees--blocking the view to the heavens. If it is on a tripod (much less expensive) I can position it with some flexibility, but it starts off lower to the ground and possibly hidden in the trees anyway. Who has experience with both and what else am I missing?
Thank you all!
Make it a good day!

I'm not sure if your asking about a Dish for Internet use or Sat. TV.
In either case go with a ground mounted system. You can always move it to a location where you have a clear view of the sky, even if it is a very small hole through the trees. A ground setup will also be much cheaper than a roof top system.