Scam information

1026dinn@

Hi - I think it would be great if there was an additional subject tab on scammer info. I've been contacted by an obvious scammer and would like to share the phone number on him so other people selling are sure to see it. Calls himself Crane and loves to text, from number 845-818-1738, probably a fake number, but nonetheless it's out there for others to see. Thanks

volitans

I agree. I am currently in the process of selling my 5th wheel and RAM. Over the past week I have been in email contact with a 'buyer' who initially said he was in a hurry to buy. ("The price is not an issue for me" he says). Now when it comes to the crunch he wants to pay by PayPal but he has a problem. He has a 'transport agent' to collect the vehicles but this agent won't pick up the rig for him unless he gets paid first. Guess what! My buyer can't pay the transport driver because of his position but he says he has added an extra $1750 to my asking price so he'd like me to pay the transporter first before Paypal will release the remainder of my asking price. I am now 90% sure this is a scam. If I pay the transporter and the buyer (who is no doubt an associate of the transporter) refuses to pay me I'm out $1775.
I don't want to release his name here yet in case he is genuine but I doubt that. What do others think? Have you heard of this scam before?

volitans

OK, I've had enough time to raise my 90% to 100% sure of this scammer. As a warning to others his name (according to him - probably false) was Mike Taylor. Claimed to be a driller on an oil rig (hence the need for a transport agent to pick it up). His email was ty.mike660@gmail.com
Don't let him catch anyone out again. Remember his details.
BTW - not surprisingly as soon as I called him out all communication stopped.