Scam information

1026dinn@

Hi - I think it would be great if there was an additional subject tab on scammer info. I've been contacted by an obvious scammer and would like to share the phone number on him so other people selling are sure to see it. Calls himself Crane and loves to text, from number 845-818-1738, probably a fake number, but nonetheless it's out there for others to see. Thanks

volitans

I agree. I am currently in the process of selling my 5th wheel and RAM. Over the past week I have been in email contact with a 'buyer' who initially said he was in a hurry to buy. ("The price is not an issue for me" he says). Now when it comes to the crunch he wants to pay by PayPal but he has a problem. He has a 'transport agent' to collect the vehicles but this agent won't pick up the rig for him unless he gets paid first. Guess what! My buyer can't pay the transport driver because of his position but he says he has added an extra $1750 to my asking price so he'd like me to pay the transporter first before Paypal will release the remainder of my asking price. I am now 90% sure this is a scam. If I pay the transporter and the buyer (who is no doubt an associate of the transporter) refuses to pay me I'm out $1775.
I don't want to release his name here yet in case he is genuine but I doubt that. What do others think? Have you heard of this scam before?

volitans

OK, I've had enough time to raise my 90% to 100% sure of this scammer. As a warning to others his name (according to him - probably false) was Mike Taylor. Claimed to be a driller on an oil rig (hence the need for a transport agent to pick it up). His email was ty.mike660@gmail.com
Don't let him catch anyone out again. Remember his details.
BTW - not surprisingly as soon as I called him out all communication stopped.

Jbmargulis

OK, I've had enough time to raise my 90% to 100% sure of this scammer. As a warning to others his name (according to him - probably false) was Mike Taylor. Claimed to be a driller on an oil rig (hence the need for a transport agent to pick it up). His email was ty.mike660@gmail.com
Don't let him catch anyone out again. Remember his details.
BTW - not surprisingly as soon as I called him out all communication stopped.
Mike just contacted me with the exact same bs story. So I sent him a screenshot of your post & added, "Busted, Asshole!"

Thank you very much!!

mlawrence1451

OMG I love you all - I just got contacted by this email as well - the way it started was a text from an 908-663-5772 phone number that said please email ty.mike660@gmail.com - my Dad is interested in buying your Thor 2017. This was the 3rd scam text I have received. Thank you for posting this type of information...

mlawrence1451

I will put the other 2 I got here as well so they can be searched by others: 408-915-0461 - "I will mail you a Cashier's Check and my mover will come for the inspection and the pick up after the check is cleared and cashed. Confirm if that works for you?" 916-245-7489 - "Let's do for tomorrow at 2pm - I'll arrange a day off before leaving tonight. Oh forgot to ask, Can you send me the MAH paperwork report?" Luckily I searched MAH and immediately came up with lots of 'WATCH OUT" links for that one.

Michael Brandon

I agree. I am currently in the process of selling my 5th wheel and RAM. Over the past week I have been in email contact with a 'buyer' who initially said he was in a hurry to buy. ("The price is not an issue for me" he says). Now when it comes to the crunch he wants to pay by PayPal but he has a problem. He has a 'transport agent' to collect the vehicles but this agent won't pick up the rig for him unless he gets paid first. Guess what! My buyer can't pay the transport driver because of his position but he says he has added an extra $1750 to my asking price so he'd like me to pay the transporter first before Paypal will release the remainder of my asking price. I am now 90% sure this is a scam. If I pay the transporter and the buyer (who is no doubt an associate of the transporter) refuses to pay me I'm out $1775.
I don't want to release his name here yet in case he is genuine but I doubt that. What do others think? Have you heard of this scam before?
Hi, V. Don't do it. This is textbook scam formula. I recently bought my 5th wheel on Facebook Market, and waded through a bunch of these guys. They're everywhere. Please, don't give them any money. And report them if you can.

Michael Brandon

Also, when you do sell, be sure to meet the buyer face to face, you'll have to do some transfer paperwork anyway, and do not take a personal check. Only a cashier's check or cash. I know it's a little inconvenient, but really the safest way.

BeckandKen

I was scammed trying to sell our dining room table and chairs using craigs list. My husband was skeptical, I was not when we had an interested party, willing to pay full price. The "buyer" needed money for the moving company, long story short, I lost $1,000, a police report was made and the "buyer" skipped toward his next victim, with my money.

BrightonWest

Fyi, scammer Mike is using ty.kktlyr006s@gmail.com email and Mike Taylor as name.
Thanks for posting his latest email address. The address looked very suspicious to me. I got the text message from his son at 657-238-8202. He told me his name was Mike and he's from West Covina (California.)

I've got two more scammers who are sending me checks right now too. In the past, one overnighted a cashier's check via FedEx, so at least they are out $40. BTW, I've posted to FB marketplace and Craigslist. But the real swarm of these scammers came after posting to RVTrader.

BTW, the last one said he'd send a cashier's check, and to me it looked very official, but my bank said it was not a cashier's check. My bank also said that due to my high account balance, they would have cashed that check and then taken the money back when it didn't clear. I guess I'm a good enough customer that they're OK with me being scammed...

So my new rule is "only accept a cashier's check at the buyer's bank."

azcm1

Thanks for posting his latest email address. The address looked very suspicious to me. I got the text message from his son at 657-238-8202. He told me his name was Mike and he's from West Covina (California.)

I've got two more scammers who are sending me checks right now too. In the past, one overnighted a cashier's check via FedEx, so at least they are out $40. BTW, I've posted to FB marketplace and Craigslist. But the real swarm of these scammers came after posting to RVTrader.

BTW, the last one said he'd send a cashier's check, and to me it looked very official, but my bank said it was not a cashier's check. My bank also said that due to my high account balance, they would have cashed that check and then taken the money back when it didn't clear. I guess I'm a good enough customer that they're OK with me being scammed...

So my new rule is "only accept a cashier's check at the buyer's bank."
Glad I looked this dude's email address up. It did look suspicious. got the text from 518-952-0267, same message "pls email my dad at ty.kktlyr006s he's interested in buying your 2017 Prime Time". Guess he is playing the circuit.

gsrsilv

I got the same text "pls email my dad at ty.kktlyr006s he's interested in buying your 2021 heartland prowler" It looked funny to me so i googled the e-mail and found this forum

goschyl

Wish I would have started here. Been tangling with a scammer for over a month. Right after I put my RV up I got hit with several. This last one was someone going by Brady Williams, alleged job on an oil pipeline with Phillips. Email: williamsbrady888@gmail.com Phone: (904) 414-4451. Offered $1500 to hold RV until an inspection. Then balance would be paid. Sent an obviously forged check for $3850.00 which he wanted me to immediately transfer overage by Zelle to his “lawyer” who was arranging inspection/transport. Told him I was going to turn check over to authorities and he disappeared. Are there any legit buyers here? Extremely disappointed in this site. Have it on Marketplace too lot of inquiries, no buyers.

NebraskaJT

I just got a text from "Karen." Her husband is interested in my Thor. Her number is 904.414.4451.

I immediately searched the number Goggle lead me here. I'm blocking the number and not responding. Heads up!