Sealer for black water leak

TomAndJanie

I need recomendations on which sealant to use when re-installing a flusher fitting to my black water tank. I have traced a slow drip from my black water tank to the point where the flusher fitting it attached to the tank. When the sewage reaches that level it slowly leaks around the outer edges between the fitting and the tank, runs to the lower part of the tank, and drips to the ground. I'm lucky that I found it. I've got the "belly shield" removed to install a Drain Master electric valve on the tank, otherwise I wouldn't have seen the leak. The flusher is at the opposite end of the tank from the drain valve, but I needed access to run the wires for the Drain Master valve. This is on an '02 Holiday Rambler Presidential, in case that matters, and the black water tank is black/charcoal in color. The flusher fitting is black plastic. One neighbor, in this RV park, recommends Permatex Black Silicone adhesive sealant (16BR) that's sold in automotive parts stores. I just want to make sure that I don't create a problem for myself when I do this repair. And, I certainly don't want to ever have to do it again!!

Archh

Re: Sealer for black water leak

I was repairing my sprinkler system in my backyard. Had a cracked thinwall plastic pipe shooting out water. Got some of that putty like epoxy mix. Tore off a hunk, kneaded it for a while and stuck it on the outside of the pipe.

2 hours later I turned on the water and no leak. If it holds that good under pressure I'm sure it will fix your leak.

However you will NEVER get the fitting apart again.

TomAndJanie

RE: Sealer for black water leak

I appreciate the response. But, if another part of the fitting ever fails I want to be able to take it back off to replace it, so I can't use that method. I'd hate to have to replace the black water tank because the "easy" flusher broke. I plan on removing the screws, removing the fitting from the tank, cleaning it, resealing it and re-mounting it. It just looks like the sealer that was used failed to seal the fitting to the tank.

Kirk

I put in the flush system that we have and the directions on mine said to just apply a layer of "RTV" such as can be found in most auto parts houses or home supply stores. I suspect that if you were to remove the flush nozzle and then clean off all of the old sealant and reseal with RTV, it would solve the problem.

TomAndJanie

I found that the screws had been eaten away and one screw hole had it's threads stripped. I managed to get it back on, with the new sealant; but, now I've got to find some new screws. So long as the tank doesn't fill to that level in the meantime, I'll be alright. Thanks for the advice.

benwd

kirkquote---"I put in the flush system that we have and the directions on mine said to just apply a layer of "RTV" such as can be found in most auto parts houses or home supply stores. I suspect that if you were to remove the flush nozzle and then clean off all of the old sealant and reseal with RTV, it would solve the problem."

RTV is silicone available at walmart and any hardware store.