Sell outright or trade-in?

SparkyTX

First off, let me introduce myself (new to the board). I grew up in tents, pop-ups, TT, as well as Class C and As. In my adult life, I have spent most of my time in tents while renting the occasional Class C or A unit.

Couple of years ago, we bought a 2001 Starcraft Gemini pop-up. Man, they certainly didn't make'em quite like that when I was a kid. This unit is almost 20' long when buckled up and has a cassette toilet and a shower in addition to the king and queen beds and the slideout dinette.

While we have enjoyed the portability of this pop-up (have dragged it places most people's tow rigs couldn't go), we are now looking to upgrade to the convenience of a hard-sided unit. Our eyes are focused these days on a 27-30 foot 5th wheel, more specifically some of the Wildcat offerings.

Long story short (too late)... Would we be better trading in the 2001 Starcraft on a new fiver? Or would I be better of selling it outright? I have bought and sold numerous autos and have always sold outright (outweighed even the tax savings). What would be the best option for the RV market?

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

C Nash

welcome to the forum Brian. You generally will come out better by selling but, sometimes it is not worth the hassle. Find out what they will sell the unit you want with no trade then latter find what they will trade for. It will vary according to what yours is worth but, bet you will find they will not really allow you much. Keystone offers a Cougar in this range that is hard to beat for the dollar (IMO). It is about the same as the Wildcat. Sunnybrook also makes a good rv. I like the caged aluminum construction of the Sunnybrook. Probably a few more $$ than the Cougar, Wildcat. If I was in no hurry, I would put it up for sale myself :approve:

retlveit

Let me echo Chelse, Welcome Brian!

I'd try Ebay. I sold a motorhome on ebay last year in a week. There was something like 700 hits, soupposidly thats a "smart" counter, dosen't count the same URL twice. I got my reserve price, in fact, I wish I had asked more because it sold so easily and quickly.

Good Luck!