Setting up a Satellite on my RV

parkercouple

Hello People, I have a question. I just bought a Fully automatic stationary Sat. for my Class C. However. I'm not so bright and haven't really owned my RV for long. How do I mount this thing on top of my RV. Also How do I run the Cable and Wires through my Rv. I don't want to tear it up. Help

Chris

TexasClodhopper

Re: Setting up a Satellite on my RV

You mean it didn't come with instructions? ;)

I don't know what brand of "Class C ... RV" that you have, but Winnebago has PDF pages on their support site that show where everything THEY put on the RV is located.

For instance, I found out that there is an area right over the cab where they pre-route the cables needed to mount a satellite dish. Sure enough, when I washed the roof the first time I found a little decal; one of those "x marks the spot" things.

(I also found out that even though I didn't buy a rear-view camera, Winnebago has already pre-wired my MH for one!)

Perhaps your manufacturer has done the same thing.

Kirk

I'm not sure that I understand just what you bought, but I am guessing that it was one of the satellite TV kits from some store like Best Buy or Circuit City? If so, you will first need a tripod to mount the dish on. Next you need to choose a location for the dish receiver and then find a way to route the cable from it and also to route the cable from your antenna to the dish receiver.(that will allow you to watch TV from the antenna when the dish receiver is turned off) You need to choose a location either on the outside or in one of your storage bays to install the connector for the cable that will lead to the dish and then find a way to run the cables from the inside of that connector up to where you put the receiver. Once all of that is done, I would call for them to send out an installer, as that usually comes with those kits. When he gets there he should set everything up for you, get the receiver commissioned and more than likely he will also demonstrate how to find the satellite at least one time. My installer actually did it once and then had me do it while he coached.

If this isn't what you have, then I guess you need to come back and tell us a little more so that we may be able to help.

parkercouple

ok I will try and clear this up. I bought a Fully automatic stationary Sat sys. It mounts on top of the RV and all I have to do is Push a button and it finds it sat. Its Brand New but I bought it from a person. No Instructions, I have a 1997 Class C Jamboree Sport. It has an Antenna. Help

G

kinda dumb but not so dumb question ,, do u have a subscription to the sat provider ??? even if u don't the thing should at least find the right area of the sat in space... or signal
Another ??? is it a in motion type dish???

Kirk

If your class C is of recent manufacture, the first place to check is with the manufacturer as there is a chance that it is already wired for such a dish system. If it is not, then you will need to get into the package to see just what it needs by way of power. It will either require 120V-ac power or it may use 12V-dc but probably not both. Once you know that, you need to determine where you will locate the receiver. If it doesn't have one as a part of the package, you will have to get one. The receiver will need 120V power and you will need to have coaxial cable of the RG-6 type between the dish and the receiver and from the receiver to the TV. If you want to also be able to use the antenna, you will need a selector switch to choose between the two and you may also want one that has an option for a VCR or DVD player as well as the feed from cable TV in an RV park. All of that will require a special switch which probably is not part of that kit.

Once you know all of this, you need to find a location for all of it where you can the run the needed power and cables and somehow make them either hidden or at least not show too much. Part of the question is what your RV has in it already. If you have a VCR or DVD player, then you may want to locate the dish receiver in that same area as it will likely have a spare outlet you could plug into as well as places to locate the other parts and there will be cables there to supply the signal to the TV as well as some means of selecting what signal to send to the TV. You may even be lucky enough to find that you already have a selector switch that will allow you to connect the new items.

This is just the start. It is very difficult to tell you exactly what you will need to do without seeing the RV and knowing more about the dish. You also need to know just what the mounting requirements for the dish are. You might start by checking on the internet with the company that made the dish to see if you can get installation instructions from them.

JamieB

RE: Setting up a Satellite on my RV

Chris.

If you could tell us the brand of dish that you have, I am sure that someone here can forward you the installation instructions.

If it is a MotoSAT, which would be any of the following, Executive, MD500, MD1000, MHDTV, or Freedom, let me know and I can assist you. Also, if it is a KVH R4, R5, or R6, I can help you with that as well.

I'm sure that there are dealers for other brands of equipment that could help you if you don't have one of the above.

Jamie Billingsley
Satellite Internet Solutions
jamie@dish-internet.com

parkercouple

Hello again and sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
It is a Motosat I have the directions from them. It just doesnt tell me what I need to do. My RV has 2 tvs in it. One in the Bed room and one in the living area. It has a TV antenna and also a hook up for Cable in the Electrical Supply hatch. It all runs through what I suppose is an RF switch however. I opened it and it has 3 cables going to it. Not really sure what that means. So here are a few questions. The Sat Receiver is is a permanent mount system. I know it has to mount on the top. It has to wires or cables to attach it to the system the Coax and a control cable. It is also one that finds the Signal on its own. So if I mount this DO I JUST DRILL A HOLE TO RUN THE CABLES. How do I run the cables within the ceiling or wall. Help Im totally confused.
Heres my EMail anyone knows anything help/Chris-rector@msn.com

Chris

parkercouple

Hello again and sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
It is a Motosat I have the directions from them. It just doesnt tell me what I need to do. My RV has 2 tvs in it. One in the Bed room and one in the living area. It has a TV antenna and also a hook up for Cable in the Electrical Supply hatch. It all runs through what I suppose is an RF switch however. I opened it and it has 3 cables going to it. Not really sure what that means. So here are a few questions. The Sat Receiver is is a permanent mount system. I know it has to mount on the top. It has to wires or cables to attach it to the system the Coax and a control cable. It is also one that finds the Signal on its own. So if I mount this DO I JUST DRILL A HOLE TO RUN THE CABLES. How do I run the cables within the ceiling or wall. Help Im totally confused.
Heres my EMail anyone knows anything help/Chris-rector@msn.com

Chris

TexasClodhopper

Chris, if you're confused about how to run the cables, then you're probably in need of a professional installer.

parkercouple

I would go through a professional however every service Center I Find say since I didnt buy it from them they will not install it :(

Kirk

Contact one of the mobile RV techs as they would probably do this. Like Clodhopper, I have serious doubts at this point, but I can tell you what you will have to do. First of all, look at the installation directions to see what you need by way of power and cables. You will need to figure out where you will get that power and how to route it to the location you plan to put the dish. If you check with the builder of your RV, there is probably a location already designed for mounting a dish, if the RV is of recent vintage. If it does not have this structure in place, you will probably need to reinforce the roof to support the weight and the wind drag that it will create. You sure don't want it to blow off in a storm.

If there is a place for the dish to mount, there may be cables and wires there, but if not you will have to fish them through the ceiling or find a way to run them along the ceiling. To hide them inside, rather than running them through the walls, which may be impossible, run them through the cabinets of the RV. You will need more than just the dish to get satellite internet. Once it is installed you will then need to sign up with one of the cable providers (Hughes or Dish Net) and get a receiver from them which will be attached to that dish to make use of the signals from it. The cables from the dish must then go to this receiver and from the receiver they have to go to one of the positions on the selector switch for your two TV sets.

Since we are not there and can't see what you have there is just no way to tell you exactly what to do. You will have to figure out some things and then come back with more specific questions. Frankly, this is not a simple install and you will need some construction and carpentry skills. In addition, you will probably need to replace your current selector switch with one that has another input. That switch is what the industry calls and "a-b" switch and is not just a simple selector. You will need one that has all of your present inputs, and one additional or, you will need to remove one of the present ones to attach the new dish. Some people use the input from the cable TV connection and just plan to use the dish and not bother with cable. That is probably your best answer.

JamieB

Chris.

Because of the mounting plate that comes with the Executive, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a suitable place to mount it. Generally, people like to mount the dish toward the front of the MH, but it really doesn't matter. Often, we mount the dish within about 10' of where the reciever is going to be located. That way, you limit the distance that you have to run cabling. Also, if you can drill through the roof inside the cabinet, then you eliminate having to run wires in inconvenient locations or having them exposed. It is usually best to drill up from the bottom with a small bit to locate exactly where your hole needs to be, and then drill down from above. That way you don't miss your cabinet.

Depending on what you are planning to do, your wiring can be run in a variety of ways. If you will only be using the Executive, and not any other input source, you would run your wiring to the Nomad controller, and then to your receiver. If you are going to be using multiple input sources, you will need switches, etc.

By the way, where are you located. Some on this forum might know someone in your vicinity that can assist you. As long as you are willing to pay for the install, I can't imagine an installer not wanting to help you simply because you didn't buy the product from him.

Jamie Billingsley
Satellite Internet Solutions

parkercouple

Hello Everyone. I did it. I said forget fear and I now have Satellite in my RV. WhooHooooo My problem actually came from my knowledge of construction and Electrical/Electronics. I have a problem with just laying a wire on the top of anything. Looks unfinished. OK I know no one will see it but it still seems to be a spot of failure. However I just will not look at the roof. LOL. no I will I have secured the wires in a way to minimize the look and the problems that could be caused by the wires. It works it is sealed and I am happy.

Thank you all for your help

Oh and the way I am in beautiful Parker Colorado. Heading out to the black hills of South Dakota soon just for a visit. I hear there are some faces on ROcks that mean something to us Americans and I want to see them. God bless the USA
:)

DL Rupper

Hope you have a good trip to the Black Hills. If you get a chance go over to the Devils Tower Nat'l Mon. just across the border in Wyoming. It is fairly close and well worth the trip. :)

JamieB

Chris.

If you haven't already done so, go to Lowes, Home Depot, etc. and get some split loom. If you only ran two wires, 1/2" would be large enough. You can encase the wires in that and then fasten that to the roof in few locations. That will make it look neater, and will protect the wiring from the environment.

Jamie Billingsley