Shot Gun In RV?

Buckeye Chuck

In another thread the question of carrying or transporting a shotgun in a RV was brought up. Not wanting to hijack that thread, I thought I'd just start another.

My question is: Have you personally or anyone you know have personally felt the need to use deadly force to defend themselves from threat of death or serious injury? NOTE that I used the term PERSONALLY. I'm not interested in what you may have read or heard just your own personal experience.

-BC-

utmtman

Re: Shot Gun In RV?

Have I ever pulled a gun on someone? Yes In my RV no and I hope I dont have to. Have I shot someone? Only in time of war never on the home front but I have used physical force on a couple of occaisons not so much in my home but in my home area.

LEN

Twice,

Once as a cop, ended up being a dog in a house on house watch(OK could have been a bad guy).
Second a guy in the mountains came around a truck, in support of a buddie of his that was being called for being out of line, with a rifle and I pulled my 44 mag Redhawk out and laid it over the rolled down window and he decided he would put the rifle away and I did the same with my weapon. I did have the wife and two kids in the rig at the time.
I guess this isn't self protection but, camping many moons ago(like 40 years) in near wilderness a few of the camps let their dogs run in the very early morning and they got into everyone food and things. After been told "NOT" the next mornings roam ended with me firing a couple 44 mag rounds into an open hillside(not at the dogs) and yelling, end of roaming dogs.

LEN

rjann

RE: Shot Gun In RV?

A pistol makes some sense. Need a permit. I don't know how you'd store a shotgun in a way that it would be quickly accessible when you needed it.

Personally, I will just take my chances. Don't think I could shoot anyone.

H2H1

I like Len have, but only in war (Viet Nam) I can say it wasn't easy but a necessary to save my self an others. I only have 2 rifles. OK a 410 shot gun and 22 rifle for shooting armadillos that is destroying my yard. However I will use either in defense for my family or myself I am not afraid to pull the trigger. I know it would play heavy on my heart to do. and then I would have to pray for forgiveness.

Buckeye Chuck

My point is this: I don't know ANYBODY who has ever been attacked either at home or in their RV. Nobody! I see little need to have a gun, either shotgun or pistol, while in my RV. I have a .40 cal Glock (County Sheriff Marine Patrol Deputy) that I keep unloaded and locked when not on duty. I also have a CCW permit but almost never carry while off duty. We are not required to.

This is a matter of personal choice. Those who carry a firearm in their RV are within their rights to do so as long as it is legal in the area they are in. If they feel the need to do so I say "GO FOR IT!". But why take a chance of doing someone or yourself harm.

Whatever your decision or reason is I wish you good luck.

-BC-

TexasClodhopper

Ya know, Chuck. You can just state your point anytime. You don't have to sucker a bunch of us into stating something opposite to what your point of view is.

We all accept your opinion as stated and differ with it for the most part. Around here if you REALLY want to know something; just ask. Please don't wind your way around it.

Now, I'm gonna always wonder what you're trying to get at every time you post something. :(

TexasClodhopper

Since I'm going to be away for a week or so ...

I've never needed my air bags in my car.
I've never needed the tire pump that I keep in the back of my truck, or that 4-way lug wrench, either.
I haven't had anything fly up and hit my safety glasses, or fall on my steel-toes boots.
I haven't gotten burned on my Nomex jumpsuit.
I never got hit on my hard hat with a Crescent wrench that someone dropped from above.
All the times I was out in the plants, I never heard an evacuation siren go off.
My run-flat tires have never run flat, either.

And, I've never needed to use my pistol.

If I haven't made MY point by now, then I need to learn to write.

bandaddie

>My question is: Have you personally or anyone you know have personally felt the need to use deadly force to defend themselves from threat of death or serious injury? NOTE that I used the term PERSONALLY. I'm not interested in what you may have read or heard just your own personal experience.

Yes. I managed to double tap my attacker before loosing consciousness. I survived trauma to head, spine and heart. My attacker did not survive, though he did live 45 minutes, long enough to inflict much damage to my body, due to his usage of PCP, which helped him survive that long with two hits to the chest.
I was armed with a 38spec revolver. It is my opinion had I been armed with a 45 acp or 44 special or shotgun, I would now be considerably healthier and I would not have lost years of my life spent in rehab. I have no love for the 38 or the 9mm. They are worthless.
In any case, I am still alive as is the woman whose life I saved by taking such actions.

Frankly, your tactic used in asking this question is insulting, to me and to my family. My wife thinks you to be an idiot, but then she came awfully close to becoming a widow, so I hope you will understand her anger.

Steve H

Like Tex implies...better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it! JMHO

Be safe!

JBTcajun

Once while in a strange city my father and I had gone to a nice restaurant (Doe's Eat Place Greenville Mississippi) in a not so nice part of town.
Leaving the restaurant on one way streets someone pulled out in front of us from a side street. Then the car behind him got in close behind.
Arriving at the next stop sign cars were parked about 20/ft from the inter section on both sides leaving room of 1 narrow lane.
The lead car stopped with his rear just at the front of the parked cars and the car behind us came close on our bumper as we stopped.
A man from the front car got out and quickly came to my drivers side hands in pocket.
I keep my hand gun loaded and positioned at hand.
As I rolled down my window I pulled the hammer back not brandishing the gun.
The man's eyes widened and he ran off, the car behind us at that point pealed out in reverse.
We later came across a police car and flagged him down. When he was told the story he knew who we were talking about. These people have been arrested before and he said that many tourist were robbed and battered leaving this establishment.
So yes I have used a gun to protect myself on vacation and never leave home without one.

Buckeye Chuck

Sorry if I insulted anyone. I didn't intend to but I guess I got my point across. I feel VERY VERY strongly about this issue. In my opinion there is no need for firearms in RV Parks/Campgrounds where there are so vehicles in such close proximity to each other.

Hard hats, safety glasses, steel toed shoes, all the other things mentioned in the reply above are great. I have them also. But none of them will accidentally discharge and kill the person sleeping in the RV parked in the lot next door. Firearm discharges either by accident or just by poor aim kill people with regularity. Just recently in Grand Rapids a young boy was killed when a shotgun discharged accidentally and shot him in the head. In another case a trained police officer's pistol accidentally discharged while he was upstairs in his bedroom putting it away. The round penetrated the floor and struck his wife who was sitting in her chair in the head killing her. Even the best shot in the heat and emotion of the moment can miss his/her intended target. What happens to that round? Can it penetrate the thin wall of one of the many RVs parked nearby?

There are other non lethal weapons that can be used for self defense. They are available to civilians everywhere. Why do you have to have a gun? Especially in a campground.

Now, my method of bringing this point may not have been the best and if some are insulted, sorry. But this thread will be remembered and if it just changes ONE persons mind about firearms in campgrounds it's worth it to me.

-BC-

tallyo

To those of you who have never needed your weapon of choice but carry one anyway. Do you really think you could shoot someone when push came to shove?? And to those who say they have never needed their air bags, safety glasses and tire pump etc., I know a lot of people who have needed those items but I like the other poster; I have NEVER known any RV"er who has NEEDED a Weapon...

LEN

Well when the time comes, and you do need help, I hope one of my GUN toting RV friends is next to you in the 15 minutes that your 911 call is being reacted to if your cell will work. Granted if you park in the guarded $60 plus a night park your chances of being involved is much less and I also grant you that RVing is most likely safer than maybe sitting in you own stick built, but I still will carry. While we are quoting accidental discharge lets not use cars either they kill too and many times more than the gun accident. Tools are dangerous and used without thought can and will kill. Go to the NRA page and read how many lives are saved each year by GUN toting citizens using their right to bare arms, YOU DON"T FIND EVEN AN ODD STORY ON THIS FROM OUR ULTA LIBERAL NEWS MEDIA, but have one accidental discharge from the millions of gun handling a day and it hits the front page.

LEN

TexasClodhopper

I guess I have to spell it out for you.

My point was that I have all of those safety items and use them without having to suffer the consequences of having them used for what theywere designed to be used for. :)

PS. I also have never heard a gun discharge in an RV park before. You can't take my gun away, because you are concerned about accidental discharges. You would have to stop RVing if you are that concerned. I suspect you aren't that concerned.

PSPS. I do note that you are a vet, and that by itself makes me do some more thinking on the issue. Hmmmm.

tallyo - 1/25/2008 7:44 AM To those of you who have never needed your weapon of choice but carry one anyway. Do you really think you could shoot someone when push came to shove?? And to those who say they have never needed their air bags, safety glasses and tire pump etc., I know a lot of people who have needed those items but I like the other poster; I have NEVER known any RV"er who has NEEDED a Weapon...

utmtman

Im going to tell you like it is. You as an officer of the law know damn well that people dont kill people guns do and its 90 percent of those accidental deaths are due to unadulterated stupidity and nothing else. And you also know that when guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns. Hell they make their own now days. How in the hell do you defend again a person with a gun. Walk up and kiss them??? I have two guns here in my rv should I sell them since I am full time and live in my rv???? My rifles in in a gun case under the bed and its unloaded and the bolt is open. The pistol is in the drawer in a holster and it too is unloaded and the bolt is open. Yes I have a bb gun next to the bed and its loaded but needs to be pumped to be fired. I was raised with a weapon and was licensed and hunting by the age of 9. I have never had an accidental firing in my life ever and neither has anyone from my family and there were 9 of us counting mom and dad. And by the way my mother has as many shooting trophys as my father ever had. She was a better shot than any of us. By the way I also have several dozen different knifes also in my rv and I am quite adept at using them as well and can throw them quite accurately if I need to, should I also sell them? I learned a long time ago when I too was an officer of the law and in the military that people who are nervous about others having weapons is usually scared to death of using a weapon and hurting others and usually makes mistakes because of it. With that I am seriously thinking Buckeye you should be very careful with your weapons and not carry any in you rv. You might be the next accident of what you speak.

Buckeye Chuck

I never said that people should not be allowed to have and carry firearms. Read my post. I just do not think that having them loaded and ready to shoot in a RV Park or campground is good. More harm will come of that than good.

A firearm in the right hands can be a good thing and as in the case of JBTcajun save lives. I do not advocate taking away ANYONES firearms. Just the opposite. I believe that States and Cities that allow the carrying of concealed weapons have a lower crime rate.

Again , READ MY POST: "This is a matter of personal choice. Those who carry a firearm in their RV are within their rights to do so as long as it is legal in the area they are in. If they feel the need to do so I say "GO FOR IT!". But why take a chance of doing someone or yourself harm." How much more plain can that be? Don't be paranoid. No one's trying to take your guns away. I'm just stating my opinion about firearms in campgrounds. I'm entitled to that.

tallyo

I think I am going to have a 50 caliber mounted on the roof. Then have four grenades clipped to my Pajama belt. Dang that won't work I don't wear PJ's anymore.....ok the grenades will be hooked to the refrigerator door so I can grab them on the way by to the turret that's built into the roof. Then I am going to have a trap door made in the hall floor so my wife can sneak down it and do the low crawl to grab the ankles of the culprit.
Did I mention the 5.3 rocket launcher that shoots smoke grenades?.....I can build a smoke screen so as we drive out of the park,opps can't do that, my wife is under the coach....oh well I got it, I will lay a mine field around the coach whew now we're safe......

As far as firearms in the right hands that's the whole point of my story.........most folks have no idea what it is like to face a real person with a firearm. Deer hunting doesn't count unless you shot old uncle George off a stone wall on purpose.

Dang now I have to make my coach bullet proof as the guy next to me may miss the culprit and the round goes thru my coach and hits my wife in the shoulder just before she starts down the secret trap door. Wait then the guy on the other side gets all worked up and pumps two rounds from his 18" double barrel shotgun through the other side of my coach, hits the propane tank . Oh no....another fire claim and that fire spreads to 8 other coaches. now we have 11 screaming wives looking for 22 dogs who are running after the culprit who has messed his drawers....... Three guys are mad because they can't sleep for all the noise.....
Dang all the shooting trophy's got burned by the fire.......Wonder what the trophy's were for? Rapid fire at a human or laying prone or kneeling at a target? Having plenty of time to think about the shot with no fear of the target shooting back? No wait I got it...a big guy makes a easy target no bad guy would be small.......easy shot.

Dang I may have to sell my RV and stay home.........

Sorry folks you gun runners will never ever convince this old fart that carrying a gun makes us all safer. Because I want to be 40 miles away when y'all start shooting...... Did I mention that the guy with the 22 missed the culprit and the round killed a 8 year old kid in his bedroom almost a mile away?

DL Rupper

Far as I'm concerned stay 40 miles away. That way I won't have to come with my "bad guns" to bail you out when you get yourself in a bad situation. The only stories I hear about are the bad guys using guns to kill someone. How many stories have you heard about the good guy missing and hitting an innocent child. 1 maybe? I can pick up any paper anywhere and read about the criminals shooting someone. The good guys only want the right to protect themselves. The bad guys will always have guns no matter what law is passed. Thank God for the 2nd Amendment. You will never get it amended.

OORAH, 1st Recon Battalion, 1st Marine div.