Silly but worthwhile to ask!

Cryzmath

Since we're new to RVing -- what are the top three things should a new RV owner should know? Please share your opinion and feedback! Thanks!

BobW

You didn't say what type of motorhome. If it's a class A or C, my advice is to....
1. Look up
2. Take wide turns
3. After passing, make sure your clear before turning back into the right lane.
4. Connect the sewer pipe before opening the black water gate valve.

Cryzmath

It's Class A and you're right on the fourth one! I'll keep that one in mind big time! :laugh: That's a good one! what's with the "look up?" [?:)]

ARCHER

I'd add a few other items (not necessarily 3).
1. Know yor rig (type, safety items, etc.), both towed and towee...ha ha
2. know how to take care of pets while full-timing
3. know the rules of the road for RVing
4. watch your weight
5. keep your tire pressure up to snuff
6. get emergency road service membership
7. know how to get back home....
good luck :) :laugh: :cool:

Cryzmath

Archer -- You have some of the BEST posts I've read so far on these forum! Its wonderful to read the insights that you have presented for all different skilled individuals who are RVing. Thank you so much! I will work on all of those -- (except that number 7 -- know how to get to your new home!) :kiss: :laugh:

rlmurraysr59

I will give you a couple:

1. Make a check list of things you need to do before you leave. Check tires, check oil, check batteries, Antennae down, doors securely latched, slide out in, closed and locked (if necessary) position. etc. You can make up your own list. I make sure I have my blood pressure medicine.

2. Don't haul things you aren't going to use. I use to haul a barbecue grill and tank. What a waste. Get a bag of charcoal, some lighter, and aluminum foil. Most campgrounds have grills.

3. Make sure you wear rubber gloves when you handle waste water.

4. Observe Rules of the Road. Don't be a road hog. If there is a line behind you when you are traveling on a two lane, find a safe place to pull off and let them by. People get anxious and accidents happen.

5. If you are towing a dinghy make sure you have auxiliary brakes. Most states have weight restrictions, and most dinghy's meet them, so you can get a hefty fine if you don't have a braking system in your towed vehicle. And if you have an accident, even if it isn't your fault, you can be ticketed for improper towing. Your insurance company would have a good time with that one.

6. Smile even when things go wrong. It will work out. You will meet a lot of really nice people on the road and you can easily avoid those who travel grumpy.

Good luck.

rlmurraysr59

Oh, forgot something.

Look up! You are not driving a car or a pick-up truck anymore. Your Motorhome is probably around 10 or 11 feet high. Not all underpasses are that high on old roads. Or some buildings have overhangs protruding out over the driveways. You can do some serious damage to the top of your coach by not observing overhead clearance.

And about twice a year wash your rubber roof with Murphy's Oil Soap and a soft brush. Then rinse the grime off. Also check it for cracked caulking.

Good luck.

ARCHER

RonSr,
Love your number 6 suggestion......we all ought to try and do that. It's hard sometimes, but sure makes it easier if ya try and smile. Wife and I laugh at each other a lot.....even when things are really going South.....and it makes the clouds move past just a little quicker...guess that is why we have been partners for almost 37 married years and 5 years dating before we got hitched.......we both agree that we just couldn't train another one at this point in our lives....ha ha :) :laugh: :cool: ;) :approve:

Cryzmath

Ahhhh -- I am so proud of everyone who's pitched in here! It's wonderful and I'm sure that we'll meet someday or somewhere! I'm looking forward to getting on the road soon -- in about a week or so! I will take those suggestions and paste them to my computer (which I'm bringing! I'm a teckie fan!). :evil:

JN

Was coming back from san Diego Beach and had a blow out so its very important, AAA RV plus is a great road side assisstance.

Cryzmath

Then I'm glad that I've invested in AAA RV Plus recently! Whew! I'm nervous! There is so much to share and I appreciate everyone's input! Thank you! :clown:

ARCHER

Everyone helps out a lot in this forum. I have learned sooooo much from asking questions and providing answers to some questions from the fantastic folks that share their knowledge and insights on RVing.
WE ALL NEED EACH OTHER.......THANKS TO ALL FROM ME.... ;)