Silly, yet serious

Scott B.

Hi folks,
I'm a newbie motor home owner, but I've vacationed in rentals since the late 80's. Since picking up our brand new rig last May, we have been out almost every weekend since. Ah, the joys and wonders of this grand lifestyle. I have however noticed a rather disheartening change. No one seems to do the wave anymore. You know, when you are approching an RV coming at you from the opposite direction on the other side of the highway, you raise your hand in a brotherly wave. I keep raising my hand to an empty stare and nothing in return. While I know this is sort of a silly thing to miss, I sure do miss it. What happened to all my fellow wavers? Are you still out there?
Waving in my heart,
Scott

Gary B

Silly, yet serious

Hi Scot I wave most of the time but as you I've noticed less & less folks wave back, its kind of sad. :( I don't know if folks are in to big a hurry or are too inscure, or just think its not necessary anymore. :) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: :approve:

ARCHER

Silly, yet serious

Hello Scot and Gary,
Yup, I wave also. Get some back but not a lot. I think it is because the rigs are so big now and they go so fast, that the driver just doesn't want to let go of the steering wheel even long enough to "Wave". Also, on a four lane road, I can't see across the medium to know if they are waving back or not...haha...just kidding. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
JUST KEEP WAVING AND DOING YOUR PART TO MAKE THE ROAD A BETTER PLACE AND YOU'VE DONE YOUR PART TO SLOW DOWN SOME OF THE STRESS.
I'm waving right now to both of you......can you see me?? :) ;) :approve:

rlmurraysr59

Silly, yet serious

You know something, Scott? You sound like my kind of people. My wife is amazed sometimes that I have never met a stranger. I wave at people too. I also ride a big black Harley and the other riders are the same way. Some wave and some don't. Some of them give you the one finger salute when they go by. I just wish them a nice day, and God Bless.

One of the greatest things I like about RVing is the people I have met. I was in a small campsite in Georgia once and took my dog out for a walk. I met a man who was walking his dog also and he told me that he had recently retired from the Navy. I told him my brother had retired from a career in the Navy. My brother was the Command Master Chief of Oceana Naval Air Station in Virginia. When I told him this he looked at me and said, "Master Chief Murray?" Yep, that's him. We spent the next hour discussing the Navy and my brother. Guess he was a 4-0 sailor. Made me feel good.

Then I was in a campground in Pennsylvania, back in the hills, and the couple next door brought there cats out for some fresh air. I had never seen to many cats on a leash before so I went out to talk to them. I asked them what the cats names were and they told me. One of them I remembered because its name was "Two Bricks". I laughed and said, "That's a strange name". The lady looked at me and asked, "Did you happen to notice that he is tied to two bricks". That cat was dragging those two bricks by its neck all around the campsite. Darndest thing I had seen in a long time.

So enjoy your camping experience, Scott, there are a lot of places to see and people to meet. And you will meet a lot of them enjoying the camping lifestyle. I am not a full-timer but I camp as much as I can. My motorhome hasn't been used very much lately though. I own a Fleetwood Southwind that should have been painted lemon yellow so I have spent a lot of time working on it. But we still get out when we can. In for an airconditioner problem right now.

The Workhorse Chassis is great and the GM 8100 engine has plenty of power but the Fleetwood motorhome itself leaves a lot to be desired in the quality market.

RonSr.

'02 Southwind 37U/Workhorse
'01 GMC Sonoma w/Brake Buddy

Scott B.

Silly, yet serious

Gary B., Archer and RonSr. Thank you for your replys. I'll consider them as a 'wave back'. I look forward to someday sharing a campfire with you kind people.
My best,
Scott

the7ofus

Silly, yet serious

I thought my family was wierd. My wife and kids wave at any and every RV that passes. Hopfully we will see you on the road someday.

Keep waving,

frogbert

Silly, yet serious

Hey Scott,

I just picked up my first trailer a few weeks back and I dunno, but I was compeled to wave at other rv'ers. I looked at my wife and said, "It's an RV thing." It's kind of like how people in Jeeps and on motorcycles wave to each other...it's that thing you have in common with a select few people on the roadways.

I wonder if people are in too much of a rush to get where they're going and just aren't paying that much attention. To me, camping is relaxing even if the kids run me ragged. Camping mode is relax mode and that begins the moment I leave the driveway...I'll get there and now that I'll have a trailer in tow, I'll wave too.

C'ya on the road...

sp

Silly, yet serious

It's funny that you brought this up but it now makes sence to me.

Two years ago my brother and friends took my newly reworked Shasta for its maiden voyage from CT to the Nascar races in NH. We had to laugh because anyone in a conversion van to a motorhome beeped and waved as they passed us. We thought it was maybe a Nascar/racing thing because we had the big logo on the back of the Shasta but now that I read this, I think it is an RV/camping thing.

Anyway, we beep and wave back too! See you on the road. :cool:

Steve

Scott B.

Silly, yet serious

Was out again this weekend. Did Disneyland on the Fourth (yes we are insane) and while on the road I waved my fool hand off! Thanks to the replies here, I know I'll get a wave back once in awhile!
See you on the road 'fellow wavers'!
Scott

Gary B

Silly, yet serious

Hi Scott good to hear you got out and waved and had a good time next time I'm out and I see a fool waving ohhhh that was a guy waving his fool hand off :eek: I'll definetly wave like a fool back!!!!! :evil: Just having a little fun late at night ;)
:) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: :approve:

Scott B.

Silly, yet serious

You were right the first time Gary...LOL...
Fool is my middle name!
Keep wavin'
Scott

Hey....I just found my signature! Keep wavin'!!!!
Thanks Gary

Plant

Silly, yet serious

Hi! Gary, I thought it was an old custom. But I like the idea consider this a wave at you and I will wave from now on. Thanks

Gary B

Silly, yet serious

HI Plant heres a big wave back to you! :bleh: Haven't see you post for awhile have you been camping :cool: ?
:) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: ;) :approve:

mrt57mrk

Silly, yet serious

Guilty as charged!
Hi, my name is Mark, and I am a waver. Allways have been, allways will. I find that most people who see me wave, wave back. I can't even deny a young kid a blast of the air-horn when I'm in my Big-Rig. I still see them all the time in the back seat of the family SUV, driving down the road giving the drivers the signal to blast the horn for them and most guys just won't even bother anymore. Kinda sad, because it takes so little effort on my part to reach up there & pull the cord! Still they just don't do it, but I do everytime a kid asks me too, and it just seems to make their day! Their little faces light right up, and I can see them jumping around in the back seat hoopin & hollerin. Guess I still gotta little bit of kid left in me too. So here I am waving four "fingers & a thumb" at you one & all. Keep waving, keep smiling, & safe miles to you all! :)

Plant

Silly, yet serious

Hi! Gary This is Plant. We camp 5 days a week at a Fishing lake in IL. and come home to do laundry. The camper we have there was brought in by the dealer 7 years ago, that's all it traveled. We have a sunroom attached with a woodstove for winter and a A/C for hot summer. Now the RV we take on trips and go south for Jan. & Feb. I love them both. Retirement is great.