Sitting in my Born Free tonight!

marstrings

And it's Yaaay and certainly Huzzah! Strings and I have taken possession of our motorhome. We're currently hooked up in the Born Free motorhomes lot for the weekend, having got here about 6pm Friday evening. We've stocked up on all the essentials (bedding, beer etc.)

And it's a very cool motorhome. Feels really well built and solid and well thought out. So far so good.
We do have a few things we need to go over with Born Free on Monday before we head for the Rockies, but I doubt any of them are major issues.

Many thanks to the folks here who were so helpful in directing me to my RV choice. No doubt I'll be back here regularly to share our experiences and get more advice.

Martin.

DARLING

Re: Sitting in my Born Free tonight!

Welcome & Glad you arrived safely. With the bad weather & all.

Will you be writing while here on your long holiday :question:

Darlin :cool:

rjf7g

Glad to hear things are going well for you!

karyljm

Well it is good to hear that everything is going good for you. I am sure you know of all the snow here in Colorado. Today started out nice and sunny and then we had this small blizzard of a storm (it didn't stick) and then the sun came out again. Yes I can see the beautiful snow covered Rockies. What a sight, just be prepared for sun and snow!!! :cool:

marstrings

Well, the honeymoon was shortlived, sadly.

We've had a bunch of little niggles and problems. The biggest problem I have at the moment is that our rear turn lights/hazards and brake lights are no longer working. As far as I can make out, these are all the function of one stage of the main rear bulb. The bulbs look fine, so it can't be them. I've booked the RV at the nearest Ford dealer tomorrow morning, but it's going to cost me.

I'm hoping that its just a fuse, which I don't have but could buy tomorrow. My problem is that there is no indication in the fuse box under the bonnet of which fuses are for which circuit.

Born Free didn't supply me with a manual for the Ford, only for their conversion. Would anybody have a diagram of this for a 1997 Ford E350 chassis, Born Free 24RB? Or a link to where one is available on the web?

The difference between a fuse and a $120 bill is worth chasing!

Martin.

rjann

If it's a fuse, it's probably in the passenger compartment -- left of the brake pedal is the fuse box. Fuses are in rows. On a 2001 model, the fuse suspected is the one on the farthest right of the second row from the top. It's easy enough to pull the fuse and look at it.

krautdog

Does it have the bayonet type bulbs, a flat base with the wires on the side as opposed to the round base that has to be twisted in?
My friend has a 2001 Ford and both brake lights were out, we pulled the bulbs and the filaments looked fine, we checked all the fuses and the break light switch, all was fine, I decided to pull the bulbs out again to check for 12V with the pedal depressed and noticed the wire on the side base of the bulb was burnt on both bulbs, not sure how it happened but, we replaced both bulbs and it's been fine for over a month now.

Cheers,

marstrings

Interesting. I checked the filaments and they were fine. But I didn't check the bayonet fitting/connectors.

I took the RV to Ford in the end. Spent the best part of a day in their customer waiting area. That was fun! Upshot was that two fuses had gone under the dashboard. They also replaced the bulbs, so it's possible that they same thing had happened on them as with your MH.

If your friend gets the same problem return - tell him to have a look under the dash for a fusebox. Might save him $283 inc tax ...

Martin.

krautdog - 4/15/2008 5:33 PM

Does it have the bayonet type bulbs, a flat base with the wires on the side as opposed to the round base that has to be twisted in?
My friend has a 2001 Ford and both brake lights were out, we pulled the bulbs and the filaments looked fine, we checked all the fuses and the break light switch, all was fine, I decided to pull the bulbs out again to check for 12V with the pedal depressed and noticed the wire on the side base of the bulb was burnt on both bulbs, not sure how it happened but, we replaced both bulbs and it's been fine for over a month now.

Cheers,