skirting using foam and wood

mainerv

would you please let us know the mechanics of making the frame for the skirting from 2x4 and foam insulation?

we currently are in maine until end of december then heading to florida

we own a Carriage Cameo 33' 5th wheel

thank you

hertig

Re: skirting using foam and wood

Well, there are several methods. The cleanest way would to cut to size and lay the 2x4s in the right shape for each section of the frame, considering the area to be covered and the size of the foam (for minimal cutting and waste). Then connect them together using glue and long screws from the outside edge, flat connectors (screw or nail) from the back, or a triangular block or metal 'L' and short screws from the inside corner. Cover with thin plywood/plastic/aluminum (attached with nails or staples) to protect the foam. Then install the foam, holding it in place with nails or staples. If you need to dissassemble it for storage or transport, don't use glue, and use phillips screws, not nails.

To hold the sections together, I'd use metal strips and screws. or perhaps eyes and bungie cords or wire, or hinge and latch, if I needed access.

Kirk

I would use the foil wrapped foam board that is used for sheeting a new house. It is weather tight if you seal the edges with the aluminum tape.

mainerv

RE: skirting using foam and wood

Thank you for the responses.
My husband was concerned with ventilation/air space for the trailer to 'breathe'.
He is hearing that you do not want to go right up against the trailer.
If you have to stay away from the trailer, how would you hold it upright?

hertig

If the overall structure is a square, then it will stand by itself. In this case, you want it as rigid as possible, so connecting the sections together should be via metal strips between the sections, screwwed to the sections.

But why do you want air space? The purpose of skirting is to keep the wind from blowing under the trailer and creating the 'ice effect' (like on bridges). It would seem that having too much air flow would defeat this purpose. And the purpose for having foam would be an attempt to keep the temperature under the trailer from reaching the extremes of the surrounding air. Any significant air space would certainly make having any foam useless. As long as you don't 'seal' the structure, I would think you would have it touching the trailer without problem (except for possibly scratching the trailer which could be prevented by padding) and for maximum effectiveness. Not to mention keeping out 'critters'.

Poppa

You want to fabricate it in panels and have it as close to the trailer as possible without ataching it to the trailer ad it will tear up something as the trailer moves with the wind. aThe air space your husband was wondering about is to have enough ventilation to prevent moisture from building up. He probably won't be able to seal it up that tight using normal construction methods

Kirk

You can build it with an allowance for a section that can be opened on warmer days if you wish to ventilate the space. In windy, stormy weather you do not want snow or rain to blow into or under your RV. That will cause a moisture problem under it. But if no moisture can get in, there should not be any serious problem.. That is particularly true if you keep the space under the RV above freezing, which you would be very wise to do.

brodavid

Sorry, my mind is in orbit, what are you talking about, I am trying to learn as much as possible to help my honey , so when he is up and going again, we will be to go. You said that there was no dumb or stupid questions, my husband travel all over this beautiful land and said that this forum was the best to find answers. I agree.

miss jackie(the boss)

THISTOYISHERS

Good question, what are you talking about here? I am new to this forum and just got curious. A friend found you out and gave me the info. Also I want to learnall I can from the ones that have already been there.
thanks and godd rving

TOY