Sleeping without mattress in travel trailer

mrmichael

Anyone out there know of a way to make the older fold down sitting areas comfortable to sleep on? I just purchased a 1985 travel trailer. There is no bed frame so nowhere to put in a comfortable mattress, it is all sitting areas that turn into beds but very uncomfortable to sleep on. Please help with any suggestions or experiances.

Will Daniels

Those seat cushions are probably not the greatest by now. Most newer units use a high density foam that is 4-5 in. thick. Even so there is no substitute for a real mattress. You can buy camper mattresses in custom sizes but they are quite expensive. How about a layer of egg crate foam over the existing cushions before spending big bucks?

C Nash

Put the grandkids on them :evil: Pick up some of the bed foam pads from wally world.

Poppa

Yep, good old fashion egg crate is an easy solution and easy to store. Check size (length and width) there are several of the air mattress manufacturers that may have something you may like better.
Easy way is as Nash said put the kids on it.

robsouth

We had one of those fold out sofa campers one time and the bed was not very good either. solution--Wallyworld inflatable mattress. Really nice sleeping. So good, we kept it for a spare bed in the house if needed (holiday times). Not very expensive and you need the litte electric pump too. It comes with a manual foot pump, but that takes a while to inflate the bed. Good luck and happy camping.

mrmichael

Thanks for all the great responses!! I think a new thicker foam layer or air mattress is the way to go.

Krazeehorse

I've slept on the air mattresses on floors and slept quite comfortably. We bought one to put on top of our sofa bed in our home for overnight guests. Works great. And it's an inexpensive one from Wally. Krazee