Slick Fiberglass Exterior

Stewie

We are about to purchase our 1st RV. It will be new and we wanted to know what "Slick Fiberglass Exterior" really is and do we need it? Thank you. :)

Grandview Trailer Sa

Re: Slick Fiberglass Exterior

There are two types of Fiberglass exteriors.

One is called Filon. With that, you do not have the glossy finish and if you look close you can see the threads of fiberglass running through it.

The other is High Gloss Fiberglass and you do have the glossy finish and you cannot see the threads.

High Gloss is better. Filon has an industry history of delaminating. I am glad that I do not sell Filon anymore. Both Gulf Stream and Sunnybrook have moved beyond it. There are a lot still using it though.

DARLING

National RV used Filon. So did Alfa stating 2003. Monaco uses the Filon. And many others

Some units get the delamination/seperation/blisters of Filon & some don't. I guess just the luck of the draw.

Darlin :cool:

catfam

RE: Slick Fiberglass Exterior

Any suggestions anyone on a good fiberglass cleaner/polish? I just purchased a 1993 Fleetwood Bounder that could use some TLC on the exterior and I'm not sure what to get to do the job. Thanks in advance for any advise

TexasClodhopper

Old Rod (730) gave me the name of a wax that he uses, so I was purusing the Meguiar's web site and remember reading about a couple of fiberglass polishes and waxes.

Seems like some were in the Boat/RV section, too.

http://www.meguiars.com/

H2H1

I have nothing say bad about Mequiars products, as I have used them in the passed and was very pleased. I have tried somthing different that my son swear by. He is into keeping his Dodge Truck and his Charger looking good. He put me on a product called Mothers California Gold Clay Bar and Wax. The back of my MH was looking dull, so I used the mothers cleaner and the clay bar to clean to dull paint away. Afterward I waxed it and now has a shine back on it. I am very satisfied with this product as well with Meguirs products. Both worked wel for me :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :approve: :approve:

H2H1

I have nothing say bad about Mequiars products, as I have used them in the passed and was very pleased. I have tried somthing different that my son swear by. He is into keeping his Dodge Truck and his Charger looking good. He put me on a product called Mothers California Gold Clay Bar and Wax. The back of my MH was looking dull, so I used the mothers cleaner and the clay bar to clean to dull paint away. Afterward I waxed it and now has a shine back on it. I am very satisfied with this product as well with Meguirs products. Both worked wel for me :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :approve: :approve:

elkhartjim

RE: Slick Fiberglass Exterior

Hey Hollis...quit being a double button pusher:
icon_smile_big.gif

DL Rupper

I use Protect All RV Cleaner/Polish on my Fiberglass as it is easy to apply (getting old) and can be purchased at Wal-Mart's RV section. Meguirs makes a good fiberglass boat polish and Thetford RV Protectant as well as RV Wax is good, but requires more elbow grease.