SLIDE LEAK

DEL

I HAVE A LEAK AT THE SLIDE ON MY TRAILER. THE RUBBER ROOF ON THE SLIDE IS IN GOOD SHAPE. THE PROBLEM IS WHERE THE RUBBER ROOF IS TIED INTO THE TOP OF THE SLIDE. THIS OCCURS ABOUT 6 INCHES FROM THE SIDE OF THE TRAILER. THERE IS A STRIP OF WOOD THAT RUNS THE LENGTH OF THE SLIDE AND IS FASTENED THROUGH THE RUBBER ROOF TO THE SLIDE. FROM THE SLIDE ROOF IT GOES UP AT ABOUT 45 DEGREES AND IS THEN FASTENED TO THE TOP OF THE SLIDE. THE LEAK IS COMING FROM THIS RISE WHERE IT IS TORN. I AM THINKING ABOUT USING SOME RUBBER ROOF MATERIAL AND PUTTING ANOTHER STRIP OF WOOD ON THE ROOF (OUTSIDE OF THE ONE THAT IS THERE ALREADY) AND THEN FASTENING THE NEW MATERIAL TO THETOP OF THE SLIDE.

I HAVE SPOKEN WITH A RV DEALER ABOUT THE REPAIR AND IT SOUNDS LIKE IT WOULD MORE DIFFICULT AND COST MORE THAN RAISING THE TITANIC.

IHOPE THIS IS CLEAR, BECAUSE IT IS A LITTLE DIFFICULT TO DESCRIBE.

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ALL YOUR HELP

DEL

Kirk

Re: SLIDE LEAK

There are repair kits available for the RV rubber roofs at any good RV supply store. Camping World also has them on-line. They are easy to use and they work very well. As to what you asked, I really do not understand the problem.

(Please do not use all caps in your posts.)

benwd

KirkQuote-----"(Please do not use all caps in your posts.)"

Actually all caps don't bother a lot of people. From posts I've read over the years I have seen only a few comments from people who don't like it. It's like saying 'please dont use lower case at the beginning of your sentences because it irritates me' or 'please use proper punctuation because improper use of it irritates me.'
The point is that posters don't know what might or might not irritate each reader and cannot anticipate those people. And if someone believes that it is the 'general consensus' that all caps shouldn't be used then state your source, ie, the poll that was taken of all posters or some scientific study that has been done that says all people don't like all caps. That is, ' your' personal opinion doesn't count nor anyone elses that you care to reference.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Generally all caps indicates you are yelling. A single capped word is done for "highlighting" or to bring attention to the word or phrase. I would say MOST people in a forum arena do not like all caps, myself included.

benwd

Well, that's two meaningless opinions. What about a poll or a study? Personally I like caps but that's just another meaningless opinion isn't it?

DL Rupper

Way back when e-mail first started out before the Internet (primarily on LANs/WANs in big businesses and the military) it was universally agreed that it was bad manners to use all caps. Actually way back when, most e-mails were in all lower case. :laugh: :laugh:

Shadow

Have a buddy at work who sends E-mails in caps only. It's the only way he can see what he's typing. Blind as a bat. He has to look at all the drawings with a magnifying glass. Could be why some people post in all caps. Oh, and Texas keeps issuing him a drivers license.
:eek: :dead:

Hey ARCHER, at least we got them off FR, and Fords for awhile :laugh: :laugh
OOPS :eek: :)

ARCHER

gOT tHAT rIGHT........oops.....got the darn things backwards. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

benwd

DL said----"it was universally agreed that it was bad manners to use all caps."

Where was this agreement made and what was the organization who made it? If you can't point to something to support such a statement then you are shooting from the hip.

DL Rupper

Hey benwd, In the military/business world a formal contract is not needed to accomplish universal agreement. It is called "accepted practice".

If you can't see the smaller lower case then by all means go ahead and use all caps. The whole point is to communicate and participate on the forum. I was just passing on info that I recalled from my distant past. Like I said, originally nobody used any caps. It was faster to type that way.

I shoot from the hip most of the time. So what. Since you chose to get personal, I think you probably get up on the wrong side of the bed most of the time. So what. :laugh:

benwd

That's your opinion since you can't point to anything.

Lower case or caps is a choice as some don't mind either or some prefer one over the other. The poster doesn't know how to satisfy everyone so it is his choice.

I get up on the same side of the bed every morning, ie the north side. What in the world does that have to do with using all caps or lower case?

Grandview Trailer Sa

Hey Benwd, if you want someone to "state their source", I think it is time you do just that. Here is my source: If you remember grade school, your teacher SHOULD have taught proper grammar. Uppercase letters start a sentence and then you switch to lowercase. That is the reason for the "shift" key on the keyboard you are using right now. (As pointed out, there are exceptions.)

Sorry to be a smart---, but I have heard just about enough. You said earlier that my opinion was meaningless. For your information, the poll that was started so far has 11 votes for emphasis using uppercase only and 2 that agree that it is a waste of time. I was only allowed to vote once or I would have voted for both.

The poster that started this is probably wondering what the heck he started. He got a square answer from Kirk and you jumped down his throat for asking politely to not use ALL caps.

Here is another one of my meaningless opinions, ENOUGH SAID.

benwd

NOT ENOUGH SAID

Actually there is no grammer rule that says a person can't use all caps if he wishes. And a few opinions one way or another is not statistically significant and therefore meaningless.

There are times when my eyes aren't so good and caps help so there are times when I prefer caps as I'm sure others do. But, that's statistically insignificant. Those who like to use caps should be free to do it without others harping on it.

Shadow

Hey DEL, We forgot to welcome you to the forum. Sometimes we get off topic a little bit. A lot of good guys on this site, so come on back and join in on the fun. :)

Grandview Trailer Sa

Thanks for heading back on track Butch, hopefully we can stay there. Yeah Del, come on back, If you dare......It usually does not get this serious.We really are a bunch of good ol' guys (and a few gals).

benwd

If the moderator were to come in and say there is a rule that no one use all caps then we have a rule to point to and abide by because it's his forum. But, if there is no rule then it's 'posters choice'.

Maybe the moderator will tell us what the rules are regarding caps and we'll be done with it. But, if it's an opinion with no stated rule either way then we're right back where we started.

Grandview Trailer Sa

What do you think Butch? I expect if Cindy were to vote in our little Poll, she would vote: Waste of Time

Personally, I would like to see her delete the whole thing. Soon it would be all forgotten. Maybe I will call her tomorrow and suggest that.