Small freezers

Hart

I’m new at the rving. Well we ride mules and travel. We do shore power and primitive. We would be running our generator.
I harvest meats off the land and would like to pack more while we are gone on the road.
Can some tell me if they have pack a small freezer with meats, vegetables etc.
even if we primitive we run gen at least twice a day.
Ty

helloDog

you gotta get solar. solar is the way. Run a DC fridge. Those can be set at any temp, including freezing.
Lithium battery goes with solar.
Being able to freeze food is critical for eating and staying off grid for days and weeks. If you have enough solar then your only need is water.

helloDog

If generator runs 2x a day then you can charge off that and not solar.

Yes, a DC compressor fridge is a big thing for camping. I would get a decent size one and not a small one unless you just do not have room. Think big.
You did not mention a battery. You will need a battery for when generator is not running or the fridge will get too warm. 100 amp hour batt shoud be plenty if u run gen often. Check eBay. You will need a charger, up to 100 amp charger for the 100 amp hour battery, but 50 would prob be plenty fast enough. For solar panels you can get a mppt charge controller for under $50 also

Rava23

Welcome to the RVing world! Packing a small freezer in your RV can be a great idea, especially for those who enjoy harvesting their own food. Here are a few tips:

1. Choose the Right Freezer: Look for compact freezers designed for RVs or ones with suitable dimensions to fit your RV space.
  2. Energy Efficiency: Since you'll be running your generator, consider an energy-efficient freezer to minimize the impact on your power supply.
  3. Secure for Travel: Ensure the freezer is securely fastened for travel to prevent damage or injuries.
  4. Temperature Monitoring: Invest in a freezer with temperature control and monitoring features to keep your food at the right temperature.
  5. Organize Smartly: Use airtight containers and organize items to maximize space and keep things in order.
Remember to balance your power usage and enjoy the convenience of having your favorite foods on the road. Happy travels!

helloDog

Welcome to the RVing world! Packing a small freezer in your RV can be a great idea, especially for those who enjoy harvesting their own food. Here are a few tips:

1. Choose the Right Freezer: Look for compact freezers designed for RVs or ones with suitable dimensions to fit your RV space.
  2. Energy Efficiency: Since you'll be running your generator, consider an energy-efficient freezer to minimize the impact on your power supply.
  3. Secure for Travel: Ensure the freezer is securely fastened for travel to prevent damage or injuries.
  4. Temperature Monitoring: Invest in a freezer with temperature control and monitoring features to keep your food at the right temperature.
  5. Organize Smartly: Use airtight containers and organize items to maximize space and keep things in order.
Remember to balance your power usage and enjoy the convenience of having your favorite foods on the road. Happy travels!
Have you ever owned one? None of these are on my top ten list. You really said to secure it for travel, then really said to monitor the temps? You do know that is how a fridge works, right? You can set the temps, it monitors itself. People probably generally have used fridges at home before and know how to organize. All DC fridges (except the $20 walmart ones) will use almost the identical compressor in them, energy efficiency comes down to insulation and personal habits. Well, thanks for the input. You have some great points.

Im not sure if OP intends to pack the fridge on a mule, or is just giving us way too much info on what they do for fun.
I do not know of any fridge that would be good for a mule pack, I would go to a horse forum for that. I know a lot about RVs.