Snowbirds, what are your travel habits?

Hi Snowbirds!

I'm writing an article for about snowbird RVers and have come to this forum to learn more about you!

With that, I'm wondering:

- Where do you travel from and to during the winter?

- Do you take your time and explore different states when you travel south for the winter? Or do you only stop to sleep?

- Do you go to the same destination every year?

Your answers to these questions would be helpful. I would love to include your responses in my article.

Many Thanks,

Timothy Fitzgerald

SnowbirdInFlight

RE: Snowbirds, what are your travel habits?

Timothy Fitzgerald - 10/27/2009 6:14 PM Hi Snowbirds! I'm writing an article for www.campingroadtrip.com about snowbird RVers and have come to this forum to learn more about you! With that, I'm wondering: - Where do you travel from and to during the winter? - Do you take your time and explore different states when you travel south for the winter? Or do you only stop to sleep? - Do you go to the same destination every year? Your answers to these questions would be helpful. I would love to include your responses in my article. Many Thanks, Timothy Fitzgerald campingroadtrip.com

1. Where do you travel from and to during the winter?

Answer: Depends on how we feel. Sometimes we head for Florida, sometimes for Texas. Last year we went clear out to California. (Left Illinois and went to California via; Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona.)

2. Do you take your time and explore different states when you travel south for the winter? Or do you only stop to sleep?

Answer: We only travel apx. 200 miles per day, so we do like to explore different states when we travel. If we really like a place we will extend our stay. We generally don't make any reservations because we don't like to be tied down to a specific schedule.

3. Do you go to the same destination every year?

Answer: As stated in answer #1, we like to change it up. The only constant is that we always go SOUTH, lol.

Kirk

Re: Snowbirds, what are your travel habits?

We are not snowbirds, but rather full-time RVers but we do travel north in summer and south in winter. We have summered in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Indiana, Kentucky, Virginia, and Maine. We have spent winters in Florida, Louisiana, Texas, Arizona, Nevada, California, and New Mexico.

We normally travel only 150 to 200 miles per day and frequently stop for an extra day if we see some point of interest and sometimes plan side trips to see specific things. We try not to take routes that we have previously traveled and we travel on the US routes and avoid the interstate highways as much as possible.

We rarely go to the same place twice and never two years in a row at the same location. But like the previous post, we always go somewhere far to the south and go to some length to avoid snow and cold.

utmtman

- Where do you travel from and to during the winter? If I am not traveling than most my time is spent in Utah and for the winter we stayed in Utah this year (was going to New Mex), last year we wintered in Arizona, and the year before in Louisiana, year before that in Utah.

- Do you take your time and explore different states when you travel south for the winter? Or do you only stop to sleep? A little of both.

- Do you go to the same destination every year? No as you can see in the first comment.

Kirk, Lee, and Fran,

Thank you for this invaluable information! Very helpful. Keep your eyes out for the article!

Timothy Fitzgerald
campingroadtrip.com

elkhartjim

I can see it now Tex...I think we should start a pool as to how many weeks it'll appear on the NY Times best seller list.

SnowbirdInFlight

Timothy Fitzgerald - 10/29/2009 12:23 PM Kirk, Lee, and Fran, Thank you for this invaluable information! Very helpful. Keep your eyes out for the article! Timothy Fitzgerald campingroadtrip.com

Gee, what am I, chopped liver? Don't I rate a thanks?  :eek:   ;)    :laugh:

elkhartjim

I would think it would have been more credible to expend some energy and visit some cg's to question those that are camping. All of you that made the effort to respond made more effort than the op that stands to profit. Good for you...maybe he'll send you a royalty check. Did any of you check his web site?

TexasClodhopper

I didn't say "Oh boy" on this one, but I wanted to! :clown:

PS. RVUSA just got spammed again! Shhhhhhh! Don't tell anyone! :clown:

SnowbirdInFlight

elkhartjim - 10/29/2009 8:33 PM I would think it would have been more credible to expend some energy and visit some cg's to question those that are camping. All of you that made the effort to respond made more effort than the op that stands to profit. Good for you...maybe he'll send you a royalty check. Did any of you check his web site?

Actually, it's a great looking web site. It has a lot of useful information for RVer's and it also has a forum for posting and exchanging ideas. Nothing wrong with responding to a nicely asked question. I doubt anything we posted would bring in any royalty checks any way, lol.