Speaking of Emissions

Steve H

Although dead in committee...I would expect this bill to come around again in 2009. Senate Bill6900 wants to tax WA residents according to the engine displacement of their vehicles. They are also including another scale for C02 emissions! Hang on to your wallets!

On a side note...Diesel was $3.80 this morning!Engine Size (liters) Rate Schedule
Up to 1.9 $0

2.0 - 2.9 $70
4 3.0 - 3.9 $225
5 4.0 - 4.9 $275
6 5.0 - 5.9 $325
7 6.0 - 7.9 $400

8 8.0 or over $600

RV_Living

Re: Speaking of Emissions

I know that this has been a issue being faced by everyone now that EPA regulations are tightening. I have been trying to find out in if the larger HP class A diesels will be affected by the new laws requiring them to close crackcase vents to reduce emissions. Also with the installation of Particulate traps on diesel pushers and the required maintenance and associated costs to clean them are unbelievable!

Steve H

I believe the WAbill excluded Motor Homes!

This bill as written is certainly flawed! I drive a Chevy D/A 6.6 to and from work daily. The drive is 10 miles round trip. I would have to pay the $400 special tax to drive this vehicle each year. My work year is 180 days so lets compute for 200 days 10 miles a day 2000 total work miles. My brother drives a Subaru something that probably gets twice the mileage of my Chevy but he commutes 70 miles (140 round trip)a day to his place of work in Everett. He works at least 200 more like 300 days each year. Even at 200 days that is something like 28,000 miles. Who is leaving a bigger footprint? He would pay $70 with the new tax. Not only am I creating fewer overall emissions, I am also using less fuel.

We both use our vehicles for more than work but I don't see engine displacement being an accurate means to assess a tax for emissionsnor an equitable means to measure load impact.I understand the theory but there are some viable problems with application of such a tax. Let's hope it doesn't raise it's ugly head next year! If WA does this I am sure others will follow suit!

Happy camping!

TexasClodhopper

You're all screwed up with that logical thinking, Steve! It doesn't matter WHY a tax is applied. Any reason will do.

Steve H

TexasClodhopper - 2/27/2008 4:35 PMYou're all screwed up with that logical thinking, Steve! It doesn't matter WHY a tax is applied. Any reason will do.

I am afraid you are correct! :(