Special Licence

Tassiedevil

We will be purchasing a 24 - 26ft C-class to travel around the USA next year, can we drive an RV of the above size on an International Drivers Licence or do we need a special licence, regards from Down-Under Sue (from the home of the Tassie Devil)

DL Rupper

Special Licence

Sue, as far as I know an international drivers licence will do just fine. About the only time you would need a special licence would be to drive a commercial vehicle like a 18-wheel diesel truck and trailer.

Tassiedevil

Special Licence

Wow your laws are diffent than ours,we would need an extra licence for driving alot of the RV's that you guys drive because of their size, DL Rupper love your city,I went there in '76 when I was a young chick. Sue.

Kirk

Special Licence

Tassiedevil
In order to register an purchased vehicle in the USA, you will need a temporary residence in one of the states. You will need to register it for license plates and also buy insurance for it. That will also probably mean getting a driver's license from the state you choose to claim as a residence. I suggest that you consider joining Escapees RV Club(www.escapees.com) as they can provide you an address that is legal for all purposes. They can also provide mail forwarding services and many other benefits. I strongly suggest that you consider them.

Tassiedevil

Special Licence

Thanks Kirk, we are learning so much from the helpful people on this site,I hope it's not too hard to get temporary residence, would you have to have some form of permanent address,.. I hope not. I will hit that site you suggested straight away. I think we will be doing months of research before arriving in the USA une next year, thanks again Sue

DL Rupper

Special Licence

Tassiedevil, not sure if you need a state drivers licence to regisiter and title in a particular state. I think your international licence will probably do. I have my pickup and 5th wheel registered in one state and my drivers licence is from another state. I suspect it depends on state-by-state requirements. Cost of insurance is determined by the state your vehicle is registered in, so you want to check around to determine which state has the lowest insurance premiums. Generally speaking states that have fewer drivers (less accidents) and fewer natural disasters have lower premiums. Also state laws and requirements drive/determine insurance rates. For example Texas has higher rates due to its requirements/laws. My insurance company, GMAC (Good Sam's VIP) does not have premiums listed for Texas. As you said you have alot of research to do. Good luck :laugh:

Poppa

Special Licence

Another thing about insuring a vehicle the state matters a lot as to the price of insurance and also the city. For instance the cost of insurance in New Orleans, LA is about 60% higher han the same coverage in Simmsport, LA which is a small farm community