speed

dred

if you wanted a camper that could cruise at 70-75 mph what would you get? as i work all week i can only go camping at the weekend i need something quite quick. doesnt matter what it is a class b class or c class many thanks alan

Texas_Camper

Re: speed

Can't help you there dred. I never tow my TT more than 60 mph. I feel more in control at that speed and arrive more relaxed too. I seldom make more than 350 miles per day and that, with rest/refueling stops usually takes 8 hrs.
There are probably many places near your home to camp/explore/visit. You don't have to go half way across the country to relax, see some new scenery and enjoy.
Seriously now, what's your hurry?????

dred

At the moment i have a chevy astro that cruises at 70-75 mph. When i finish work at 6pm on a friday i wanna go home get in the camper get to the campsite and set-up before sunset. We go to a lot of festivals that you cannot enter after 10pm on a friday night . Last year i did 1200 miles england to portugal in 48 hrs so need to move it sometimes. :laugh:

hertig

I used to tow a 25' fifth wheel with a 2500HD GMC pickup, and had no trouble going 75 with that setup (weather and roads permitting, of course). Not up hills of course, and the gas mileage was poor. When gas went up the first time, I found much better gas mileage and less stress at 55, but that was preferance, not a requirement. My class A is limited to 65, but that is mostly due to the tires, I think, which are only rated to 65.

Probably many RVs (with the proper tires) will go that fast if you need to. Perhaps a more important criteria is if they will 'fit' where you want to go. A fifth wheel is difficult to back up and doesn't like dips or bumps. Long motorhomes back up easier but are even more likely to 'hang up' on rough terrain and don't turn well.

If you only weekend camp and don't need to carry a lot of stuff, perhaps a class B (van camper) would be a good choice (good for getting from here to there, perhaps a bit cramped when you get there). Relatively good gas mileage and will fit most anywhere. There are many available, or you can get one built to your design from Sportsmobile, even 4WD. If you need more space, the perhaps one of the smaller class C (van frame) would do.

dred

Hertig thanks mate i am goin to find out about greatwest vans and roadtreks and stuff about that size. Any owners on here cruise at 70 or is their top end 60-65? :) Whatever i end up buying i wanna get it runnin on lpg cause petrol is sooooo expensive over here in england :eek:

DL Rupper

Check out ClassB/C's built on the Dodge Sprinter Chassis. They have the Mercedes Benz 5cyl Turbo Diesel engine. www.pleasureway.com is an example. I believe Roadtrek makes a Class B on the Dodge chasis with diesel engine. Should work nicely where you are located.