spring rubbers

glennis

We have a 1978 21 & 1/2 ft motorhome. I would like to stiffen the back suspension up some. I am thinking about putting in some round rubber inserts into the rear coil springs,
(saw some in Canadian tire yesterday). Does anyone think this would help and if so how many would each spring need. I can,t afford to go to the expense of pulling the springs and having them reset. I will be towing a 4ft x 8ft utility trailer behind me, loaded up to 1500lbs or probably less, tongue weight 200lbs or less. Could I put these rubbers in myself rather than taking it to a shop. If this would not work, is there any other suggestions. :laugh: always appreciated,thanks.
Chas.O.

utmtman

RE: spring rubbers

Well I remember using them in the old days. And I put mine in myself. Usually used two per spring one across from each other. In them days we used to also put springs around the shocks to also do similar. Could buy kits in any parts store for either direction or if one wanted to do both.

Poppa

Re: spring rubbers

The rubbers will help raise the unit but won't do anthing for actual spring rate. Suggest purchasing some heavy duty coil over shocks. They will help the spring rate as well as help out on any swaying condition

Grandview Trailer Sa

Sorry, but I don't understand why you need them for a 4 x 8 trailer weighing "probably less than 1500lb."

I would think the suspension in a 21 1/2' motorhome would be more than adequate.

C Nash

If 200lb of tongue weight bottoms it out it's time to replace springs IMO

kotr

You didn't mention what brand chassis you have but I thought most used leaf type springs in the rear suspension. If so Firestone makes air bags with up to 5000# of help for those old sagging springs.