starter/solnoid problems

Cryzmath

Excuse my lousy spelling - it is one of those long days and we're coming across some difficulties with our rig. It seems like it refuses to start - the batteries are fine, we're hooked up to the shore (we're full timers), and the solnoids have been replaced. Well -- we can't start up our rig - neither the generator nor the regular motor will start :dead: -- Any suggestions or feedback as to what to do? :sleepy: We would appreciate it - since we want to make sure that we can leave our spot if it should be necessary.
Thanks!

ARCHER

starter/solnoid problems

Fuses? Battery switch turned to incorrect side? Dead Aux batteries (normally used to start the generator) Generator crank at all? (if not, probably the aux batteries). Check main battery (turn on your headlights and see if they come on)? Sure sounds like battery problem to me.

Krazeehorse

starter/solnoid problems

Good batteries and good solenoid...that leaves the starter....if the solenoid is indeed closing and the starter doesn't turn. Hit the start switch with the headlights on. If they dim way down then there is a short in the starter or the batteries are not good. If the headlights don't dim at all when the key is turned to start, then the circuit is open someplace. Power is not getting to the starter motor itself.

Kirk

starter/solnoid problems

Are you sure that the batteries are all good? The shore power supply is not large enough to supply the current that is needed to turn over the starter for either engine, in all probablility. I don't know just what the genset starter draws, but I know that the one for the chassis is about 100A or more. The fact that neither one will crank seems to me to indicate some problem that is common to both, and not the two different starters.

Are you sure that you do not have battery isolators that are open? The chassis starter draws power from a different battery than does the genset. Have you tried either or both starters when you hold the "emergency start" switch closed? That will connect the chassis battery and the coach battery to supply either starter from both batteries. Also, most motorhomes do not charge the chassis battery from shore powere. There are some Fleetwood motorhomes that do, however. Have you attempted to jump start by connecting to another vehicle with jumper cables? I would do that first and the chassis is probably the easier place to do so. If you have a toad, start in and use jumper cables to connect it to the chassis battery, leaving the toad running. Let it sit and supply the chassis battery for a few minutes before you try to crank it. If it starts, the next step is to charge the chassis battery completely and see if it will hold a charge.

Once you get the chassis engine running, let it run for a while, then try the genset again. If it does not crank use the "ememrgency start" switch to connect the two systems and try it again, with the chassis engine running. That should do the trick.

And come back and keep us updated on the latest!

Cryzmath

starter/solnoid problems

Thanks! We'll check into all of them -- sounds like you might have hit on a few of the items we've not yet checked into yet. I will get my little group together and we'll see if we can use any of the ideas. We'll keep you posted!
Crystal :clown:

Cryzmath

starter/solnoid problems

Thanks! We'll check into all of them -- sounds like you might have hit on a few of the items we've not yet checked into yet. I will get my little group together and we'll see if we can use any of the ideas. We'll keep you posted!
Crystal :clown:

Cryzmath

starter/solnoid problems

Well -- Guys - Thanks for your suggestions - It was the starter that was faulty! We've replaced it, now we need to get the coach's battery charged up some more - she is too low to crank over to get going. It really helped to have your inputs and suggestions. Many thanks! It also helped that we had a friend that helped us. She was wonderful and did most of the work (labor) for us - her request? Kayaking lessons! :bleh: :blush: Again - thank you!

Cryzmath

Re: starter/solnoid problems

Well -- this is an update from my last posting. I was incorrect about the result from the previous repair. Sigh - It didn't work after all. So, we bugged an local RV guy who came out and did the repairs. He had to check out everything -- what happened was that our batteries were too low - so they got charged up. The wiring was incorrect and hooked up in the wrong place - Sigh - so that got fixed. NOW - we can start up our rig and go! Whew! I'm so glad it is okay now! - Just had to keep you guys posted since I know you were there for us at the beginning! :blush: