Starting over..looking for advice

famontherd

Well as I had said we just bought 2 95 teten prestige 40 ft to take our family on the road and had to start by taking it in for repair work. Well it just came back that the trailer is basically junk. The Slide that needed word has a busted floor and the whole floor under it is rotted. We were told it could be fixed but could run up to about 15,000. Now we are getting ready to start all over looking at trailers. I am back to travel trailer or fifth wheel..which is better and any particular brand people favor? Any opinion would be appreciated since I feel like I know nothing now..lol Angela

hertig

Re: Starting over..looking for advice

The Travel Trailer (TT) is usually lower, so has less wind resistance and less problems with low clearance, but less headroom. It can be towed by any vehicle which can handle its weight. The floor plan is all on one level. The pin weight is usually less, so puts less weight on the tow vehicle. They are hard to hook up and difficult to tow, although there are (expensive) hitches which can minimize these problems (PullRite and Hensley).

The fifth wheel requires a pickup truck to tow it, and takes up much of the bed. The overall length is less, since the trailer and truck 'overlap'. They are easier to tow and hook up. They usually have much more storage, and more headroom inside, but have more wind resistance. There are 2 levels, with a steep staircase between them.

boomerboater

My wife and I presently own a 2002 National RV Palisades Fifth Wheel. You won't see many of these around as National only made them for 3 years. This is a heavy trailer. 13,000 dry. But it is built really well. Welded steel frame and the interior is superior to many fifth wheels on the road. All the cabinets are solid wood, better than some in many homes not to mention rvs. It has large holding tanks compared to others. 100 fresh water then 80 and 80 for black and grey water. National made these in Oregon, all at the same place, not Indiana. I like the idea of buying an rv from a manufacturer that makes HIGH END rvs all at the same location.

The Palisades comes with many extras that the others don't. Side by side fridge, ice maker, convection microwave, two fantastic fans, nice lighting, washer/dryer, real tile floors, great storage, phone, hair dryer, great insulation etc. You can sometimes find them by doing a search. Usually at pretty good prices.

There are many great brands, but we have really enjoyed this rv. We have owned many over the years and this one is by far our favorite. Except for the weight. That is the only negative. But our F350 diesel pulls it very nicely. We have been numerous times over the worst of the worst mountain passes Colorado has to offer.

Just my two cents worth! :laugh:

boomerboater

My wife and I presently own a 2002 National RV Palisades Fifth Wheel. You won't see many of these around as National only made them for 3 years. This is a heavy trailer. 13,000 dry. But it is built really well. Welded steel frame and the interior is superior to many fifth wheels on the road. All the cabinets are solid wood, better than some in many homes not to mention rvs. It has large holding tanks compared to others. 100 fresh water then 80 and 80 for black and grey water. National made these in Oregon, all at the same place, not Indiana. I like the idea of buying an rv from a manufacturer that makes HIGH END rvs all at the same location.

The Palisades comes with many extras that the others don't. Side by side fridge, ice maker, convection microwave, two fantastic fans, nice lighting, washer/dryer, real tile floors, great storage, phone, hair dryer, great insulation etc. You can sometimes find them by doing a search. Usually at pretty good prices.

There are many great brands, but we have really enjoyed this rv. We have owned many over the years and this one is by far our favorite. Except for the weight. That is the only negative. But our F350 diesel pulls it very nicely. We have been numerous times over the worst of the worst mountain passes Colorado has to offer.

Just my two cents worth! :laugh:

DL Rupper

The 5th Wheel is probably better if you are going to spend a lot of time in it and have a good diesel pickup. The floor plans usually have more room than the TT's and as said previously they tend to tow better.

jetenbu

If you are interested in toys (motorcycles, 4 wheelers, etc.) a Toy Hauler might be just what you need. I would suggest KZ as an excellent manufacturer. ;)

Poppa

Hmm I hooked up on a Keystone Cougar and thus far I am well satisfied. The larger Keystones the Canyon series are sweet but with just the wife and I most of the time we got the Cougar . It has 4 bunks in the rear for the kids though.