Starting

tiki

My Toyota Rogue has start problem approximently twice in 200 starts. Never know where or when. It starts 200 times, then next start it just clicks. No contact with engine. I can sit it out for 20 minutes and it will start again for next 100-200 times.
Sometimes it doesn't want to start at all, just giving a click with the turn of key.
To get it started,(like off of a gas island) I have to jump start it from my jump kit.
Mechanics I have used just scratch their heads. They say everything checks out from batts, altinator,coil etc. Anyone out there with advice? I hate backing up traffic when I stop for extended periods and find only a click when I try to start, or out in the back woods overnight and having this familiar click only problem. Sometimes the jump start kit doesn't do the job and its freshly charged to do the job. Click only with the key in ignition.

DL Rupper

RE: Starting

Try cleaning your terminals really good and then putting grease over them. :bleh: Also clean your grounding terminal where it is connected to your vehicle.

tiki

Re: Starting

Thanks for the advise D.L Rupper. It has been done previously, and the batts replaced along the way. What I don't know until I check the ground cable connection if it has been really cleaned and greased up etc. I'll check that cable out. This problem isn't new, having been an off and on problem for about 6 years, with 3 different mechanics scratching their heads about it.
With your input, I'll certainly look into the grounding cable and make sure it's complete.

s.harrington

It may be that you need a sheild between your exhaust and starter. Chevys had this problem a few years back but it actually happened more often than yours. If it does it mostly on hot days or after driving for long periods that could be the problem.

C Nash

Starter rotor might have a bad spot on the armature or solonoid might be bad. Try tapping the starter with a hammer, lightly, when this happens. If it starts while tapping replace it.

tiki

To all of you who have replied to my problem,I thank you and welcome any other hints. I have taken the RV over to my favorite Mechanic and he is going to look at the problem again. I told him no rush, but advise me if he see the problem. He hasn't started the looking yet, but I am sure he will attack the problem again soon.

smokepole

RE: Starting

I had that problem and mine would quit going down the road. Turned out to be eletronic ignition module would get hot and stop. :(