Step doesn't work

Hello everyone! We're on the road in South Florida and suddenly the step at the front door step on my Coachman Freelander stopped working. I checked the fuse, connections, etc., and nothing seems to work. I cannot find a door switch. The on/off switch on the control panel is where it always was when it worked. Everything else in the rig works fine. Is here a reset button someplace? Any suggestions? Thank you.

C Nash

Re: Step doesn't work

There should be a switch on the door that ells when the door is opened. I would ck this first. Probably be a magnetic type sw.

H2H1

Rod taught me this, just get a big hammer and give it one big hit, well may take several. He said that will knock it lose and free it up :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I do hope know I am just kidding.

H2H1

dang Steve he did not mention that :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

dfedora

RE: Step doesn't work

Thomas

I had the same problem after sitting all winter. I took a small pipe wrench or water pump pliers under the step there is a 1" pipe that the step pivots on it needed some oil and just a little help getting started. Its been 3 week now and they still works well.
I'm not sure if the motor is getting weak or not but it working well so far.
hope this helps
Good luck
Dick

brodavid

Hollis, MsJ wanted to know how big of a hammer and how much oil, she is going to try this on ME to see if it will get me moving

dave

H2H1

That question needs to be address to Rod, he is the RV tech. My steps has always worked but I LUBRICATE mine each time I change the oil.

RE: Step doesn't work

Dick, thank you so much for the advice. I shot some WD40 into the moving parts. It took a few minutes to soak in and the step works like new! Guess that's all it was. When I return home next week I'll lube it properly. That was a giant step for RVkind ... : )

H2H1

glad you got it fixed, as you can see we trend to get carried away sometimes, But if you read my last post I said I lube mine every time I change my oil. That would be a habit for you if you travel a lot of dirt roads or in the salts areas. But glad you got it fixed

Grandview Trailer Sa

AH, the salt air of Florida....Remember WD-40 is named that because it is the 40th attempt at a Water Dispersing formula. It works great in the short term, but not a true lubricant.
Glad you got your steps working, lube them properly when you get home.

krsmitty

Grandview Trailer Sa - 3/10/2011 8:54 PM

AH, the salt air of Florida....Remember WD-40 is named that because it is the 40th attempt at a Water Dispersing formula. It works great in the short term, but not a true lubricant.
Glad you got your steps working, lube them properly when you get home.

Ken,

A sincere question. What do you mean by "lube them properly"? To me, wd-40 would be proper... :blush:
Use something other than wd-40?

Thanks,

H2H1

Ken S,
WD 40 WILL NOT LAST for a long time, it will work for a short period of time. I have used it to break things loose, but always come back with a small oil squirt can and squirt the joints with a good grade of oil.

Clay L

Kwikee makes a special lube for their steps called KwikLube. It sprays on as a liquid then dries to a wax.
It's expensive at about $12 a can or so but I am still using a can I bought 8 years ago.
Many RV stores carry it.