still working on the satellite system

hutchings8

I decided to pratice the sat system before we head for the hills but after 2 hours today at home I just gave up. Is there any directions for dummies out there because I can not figure this out. I thought I went step by step thru the instructions but I still cant get anything. I have direct tv if that matters. It said to point the sat at 210 azm and 60 degree angle and I did all the small movements back and forth but never got a signal. My problem may have been with the level part but I dont know.
HELP PLEASE!!!!!!

G

RE: still working on the satellite system

I set up my home sat system by doing this,,, pointed the dish in the general direction and then moved very SLOWLY up down and right and left ,,, bty had the kids watchin the setup screen ,, and when i would get close they would yell hold it right there ,, then again i would go up and down ,, side to side again ,, even more slowly ,, until i got atleast a 95% signal ,, and that was good enough for me ,, and Bty i did not mount the dish on the pole until i figured out the right place ,,, i know u may look like a :clown: to u'r neighbors ,, but it worked for me ;) :)

s.harrington

Re: still working on the satellite system

You must also no the angle of deviation from true north to magnetic north. Being that you are somewhere in to the south and east of me the deviation isn't much(the closer to the pole the greater the deviation). You must have the dish level to get the 60 deg. angle right. It doesn't take much movement to get it in if you are close. Usually less than 1/4 inch at a time movement is enough.

TexasClodhopper

Ah, come on, kristi. Don't give up now. You are SO close.

Actually, on mine I will get it pointed in the right direction, say "210", and then I will tilt the top of the dish back and forth.

I'm listening to the TV "bleep" for a quick change in the "bleep" to a "blurp". :eek:

If I don't hear the change, then I will rotate the "210" to "212"; just a little bit. Then do the tilt back and forth again, listening all the time. Then go back to "208" if you don't find it.

That way you are only changing one thing at a time. That is VERY important.

When you do finally hear the "blurp", then you KNOW where the satelite is in the sky. That's when you can start putting some tension in some of the screws and start adjusting for those big numbers. (Remember, you won't see much difference in the picture on your TV with numbers from 50 to 95, but the higher number means it won't fade out on you on a foggy morning.

The trick is to first do this 'scan' so you'll have at least some idea where the satelite is.

C Nash

Turn the tv up loud and then move the dish real slow and listen for the blurp to get faster. Be sure you have a open sky in the direction of the signal. Real easy once you get the hang of it.

hertig

Also, make sure you don't have anything between you and where the satallite is supposed to be. A tree or anything else in the way will block the signal.

SnowbirdInFlight

Get a Channel Master Satellite Signal level Meter. I have Model 1004IFD.

It hooks in between the cable from your rig to the cable on the dish and you don't need to listen for the blurp or bleep from the set. You can also do it by yourself. Once you have the signal and the tv setup done, you unhook from the meter and hook the two cables back together. (You will need a connector to put the two cables back together.) We love it! Cost was $50 as I recall. We've had it for two years. We got it from the Dish guy but you also get it here at this LINK . Go down to the Model 1004IFD to see what it looks like. On sale for $54 right now.

C Nash

Never had a problem with just listening to the beep and it's free. I do use a compass if no one else is around with direction already pointed. Generall pretty well already know where N & S is. Guess day's of hunting in the woods honed my head compass :) The meter would probably help on getting used to aiming.

Kirk

I use satellite for both TV and for internet and let me suggest that first you use great care on getting the mast of your dish truly vertical. Time spent in getting that accurate is usually time very well spent. If the mast is not plumb then all other settings will change with each movement of the dish. If it is all set to vertical, then just make sure that you set elevation correctly and put on the dish. I always point my dish a good 15 degrees away from where I expect to locate the signal as there are things that could effect where it is and it could also be just a misjudging of where you read the compass. Not sure about Direct, but with Dish they give both the magnetic and the true bearing for setting the direction, but if the mast is plumb and the elevation is close you should find the bird. Do not be afraid to swing the dish a full 45 degrees either side of where you expect the signal to be. I also agree with Ken that having a meter of some kind is a way to make things fare more easy. The link by Snowbird is a good one, even if you get just the $16.95 meter. Even that is a big improvement from trying to use the TV menu to start. Once you get close with the plug-in meter, just remove it and then use the TV. A meter such as Snowbird uses, or the Birdog that I have with my internet system will make it so that you do not need the TV screen at all. But many an RV owner does just fine with just the simple meter and a fair share with no meter at all.

Check the plumb of the mast first, then the elevation accuracy and then extend the travel that you are moving across to a sweep of at least 45 degrees and i suspect that you will find your signal.