Stored RV trailer

ivaldespino

I have stored my trailer for the winter. I blew out all the water lines and water heater and emptied all p-traps. Is it still important to add antifreeze to the lines and p-traps. I live in Colorado and it does get pretty cold in the winter. Should I worry if I don't put antifreeze?

C Nash

Re: Stored RV trailer

There may still be some water in spots that would freeze in the weather you have in Colorado. Bypass your hot water heater and pull the antifreeze in through your pump to protect it. take around a gallon and half. Don't forget to add a cupful to each drain. JMO

WildWillyToo

Blowing out water lines does not assure all the water is out.
Air will blow right over the top of water that's sitting in the low areas of a water line.
You can prove this by filling about 3 feet of 1/2 inch or 5/8 inch clear plastic tubing with water....make a U out of the tube (with both open ends up), now aim one end at your wife (just kidding) and blow into the other end. You'll get most of the water out, but droplets will form on the inside of the tube and some water will sit in the bottom of the U. The droplets will find their way back down to the bottom and that area could have enough to split the line when it freezes!!

Use the pink stuff, that's what it's for!!

On a different subject.....MERRY CHRISTMAS to everyone!
W

C Nash

Also when blowing out with air it will not get the water out of the rv water pump. the pink stuff is much cheaper than a split pipe or ruptured water pump. Be sure to use the rv approved antifreeze and DO NOT USE AUTO antifreeze. You can get the rv pink antifreeze at walley world.

Kirk

If all of the water was out, there would be no need for anitfreeze. But do you really want to bet the cost and head ache that ruptured lines can be, that you have all of the water out? It is very unlikely that there is no water in the lines. With the kind of winters you have this would be a very long shot!