Strange tire wear

pnuccio

I have a 2000 31' Maverick class C Ford E-450 (still under warranty) with strange tire wear that I cannot find described at any tire web site. Nor can it be explained by several tire dealers that I have visited. The "lugs" which I understand are the approx 1" "cubes" of surface, show random wear over the surface of the two front tires. One "lug" is worn but those adjacent to it are not. About 25-30% of the "lugs" are worn randomly around the circumfrance. It affects only the front tires with the passenger side affected more severly. The rear duals are fine. There is no driving vibration, pull or bounce. I have 13,500 miles on these original tires and they were balanced & aligned @ 6m miles. Tire dealers have said the wear "might be" caused by (take your pick) front end bounce (weak shocks? weak springs?) ball joints, too much weight in the front end. Tires are original equipment Firestone steeltex radial R4S LT225/75R16. Anyone have the same experience?

ccalara

Strange tire wear

I have experienced the same problem. I have a Safari 30 ft CL C M/H E450 Super Duty made by SMC. My front tires have the same problems that you described. I had the front wheels balanced and it fixed the problems.

Cesar

C Nash

Strange tire wear

pnuccio, think the dealers guess is as good as any but, if it's still under warrenty tell them to guess and fix it. I would think tire balance or shocks to be the most likely. Rotating the tires every 6000 won,t fix the cause but will keep the tires smooth if they wear ok on rear. keep us posted.

alex_philtech

Strange tire wear

I have the same problem with my tire. Only one of them shows this. Did you manage to fix this? Could it be a manufacturing defect?

Alex

quote:Originally posted by pnuccio

I have a 2000 31' Maverick class C Ford E-450 (still under warranty) with strange tire wear that I cannot find described at any tire web site. Nor can it be explained by several tire dealers that I have visited. The "lugs" which I understand are the approx 1" "cubes" of surface, show random wear over the surface of the two front tires. One "lug" is worn but those adjacent to it are not. About 25-30% of the "lugs" are worn randomly around the circumfrance. It affects only the front tires with the passenger side affected more severly. The rear duals are fine. There is no driving vibration, pull or bounce. I have 13,500 miles on these original tires and they were balanced & aligned @ 6m miles. Tire dealers have said the wear "might be" caused by (take your pick) front end bounce (weak shocks? weak springs?) ball joints, too much weight in the front end. Tires are original equipment Firestone steeltex radial R4S LT225/75R16. Anyone have the same experience?

Butch

Strange tire wear

I'll certainly agree with Chelse that if it is under warranty, see if the dealer will fix it. Shocks normally are not after a certain period of time. AND, it sounds like you do have bad shocks although incorrect camber, worn ball joints, wheel bearings or springs can give the same indication. Let us know what you find...

John Harrelson

Strange tire wear

Maybe I can help guys,

For about ten years I and my family owned a Western Auto store and of course we sold and installed tires. I had a customer come in one day and accuse me of selling him bad tires. When I looked at them, I saw just what you are describing. I immediately removed the tires and put them on the balancing machine. They were still in perfect balance. I was stumped !!

That night I happened to read an article in my latest issue of Popular Mechanics magazine and they discussed that same problem. They stated that if the tires are balanced properly and this pattern of wear ( called cupping) appears, there is only thing that can cause it.... THE SHOCKS...

Sure enough... I replaced the shocks on the man's car and rotated the front tires to the rear and vice-versa. Several months later I checked out the customer's car and everything was perfect.

So I suggest replacing the shocks.