Suggestions for small vacumn & rug shampooer

Gritz

As we begin planning more and more for Full Timing I'm trying to assemble the appliances and tools that might make life easier when we make the swing. Seems a small yet powerful vacumn would be nice, as well as a portable rug shampoo'er. I would like to know what others use and if they're satisfied with them, or what their suggestions might be. :cool:

DL Rupper

Hey Gritz, we use a light weight collaspable Dirt-Devil Sweeper Vac, works fair. For shampooing the rugs we use a Bissel Little Green Upholstery Shampoo'er. It works great and is small enough to store. The only problem is you have to shampoo on your hands and knees and it is slow going. Big benefit! It cleans the upholstery too. :clown:

Gritz

Hey thanks for the tips DL, I appreciate and will check both of those out on my next trip to town.

hertig

I'd have a small wet/dry vac (like the DeWalt battery/plugin) to handle water (and other liquid) leaks/spills.

Kirk

My wife has a Dirt Devil with the HEPA filter and she says that it is a very good vacume, although not a great one. But she also says that the best vacumes tend to be very large and do not serve well in an RV. There is one of the small Dirt Devil vacumes that has a power beater bar and she says to be sure and get that has that feature.

For carpet shampooing, she started with a mini-Hover and it worked well but she now has a "Little Green Machine" from Bissel and she say that it is much better. One big feature of it is that it has a heater to keep the water very hot and so does a much better job of cleaning and also drys much more quickly. My wife has breathing problems (COPD) and as such these are very important. She has found that the Bissel, anti allergen cleaner seems to clean best and to last longer.

I quote her opinion since she has the breathing problem and since that is here jursdiction, I just run the equpiment but under close supervision. She makes the related decisions.

Gritz

I went with the "Little Green Machine" and the "Truck Air" so far .... no vacumn yet, but the Dirt Devil with the beater looks good. I do wonder though .... about the little "Orca" is see advertised so much. Probably too spendy I'm thinking .....

Kirk

I think you mean the Oreck. It might be a good choice if the cost is reasonable. You want something small in an RV. The bigger vacumes generally do pretty good, but they are very difficult to use in RVs because of such limited space.

odonnks

I went with the dirt devil and I'd rate it as a 7 out of 10. http://www.dirtdevil.com/Products/productDetail.aspx?id=12513
My complaint is the beater drive belt slips allot and the brushes don't do much. The problem is that the beater drive is driven by the suction it doesn't take much to stop them.
I also have a Bissel green machine. As a rug vleaner, this is priceless. ! Good deals at Target.
http://www.bissell.com/Products/pro..._id=LITTLE+green+COMPACT+MULTIPURPOSE+CLEANER

Kevin

Hadwinnn

It is really amazing the large number of unique handmade rugs that sights like Rugman.com have to offer.