switches

archibald

I have a 1973 chev. jamboree RV I am looking for the switch panel that indicates the 2 water holding tanks quantities ,the water pump indicator, the battery charge indicator and the propane amt. indicator.There are 4 switches on this panel and they all work except the propane indicator.I checked the wire and it seems to be good.The manufacturerer is "jensen wemak?".I have scoured the internet but can not seem to locate one.any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Archibald
:question:

ARCHER

switches

Welcome to the forum Archibald. Have you checked to see if the bulb is ok on the panel (it may have a needle gage)? Have you checked the wiring to your LP tank where it connects to the tank via a nut? Did you check the wire for an open circuit (using multimeter)? Good luck, there may be many who can help/guide you on this forum. :) :laugh: :cool: ;)

hertig

switches

Check the voltage from each side of the switch to ground. If there is no voltage, then the problem is somewhere else. If the voltage is the same on both sides of the switch, then the switch is 'normally closed' or fused closed. Check the voltage while pressing the switch and one side should have no voltage; if so, the switch is good.

If one side has voltage and the other does not, the switch is 'normally open' (the most likely setup). Check the second side while you press the switch; if voltage does not appear, the switch is bad.

If you cannot find a replacement panel, it is possible (but tacky :) ) to replace the switch with any equivalent switch which will fit.

Kirk

switches

If your propane level indicator is the same as most, the switch is a normally open, spring returned to open design, or momentary. The propane level detector is just a magnet attached to the pointer of the float level indicator that is on/in the propane tank. The magnet moves the wiper of the detector to send a signal to the indicator panel. It might be either a series of lights, or a meter movement, depending on your display panel. If you don't have one, I suggest you get a cheap meter and check the switch with it first, to be sure if it works or not. The ohm scale should read near 0 ohms when the switch is held closed and at least 5k when in the open position. It should read a voltage to the detector side of the switch when not depressed, if the wires are good. You may also want to check the indicator lights as well. If you give more specifics about what you have, we might be able to help more. The switch is probably not made by the company that made the display, but you can very likely find one that would work at an electronic supply house, or possibly even at Radio Shack.

hertig

switches

Be careful using an Ohmmeter when voltage is present. It could fry the meter. Before using an Ohmmeter on any circuit, remove all power from the circuit (remove batteries, disconnect power supply wires).