Synthetic motor oils?

zigzagrv

Does anyone know the advantages or disadvantages of switching to a synthetic motor oil in an older engine? I have a 1985 Winnebago with a Chevy 454 with 52000 miles on it.....relatively new. I understand (and do) the importance of changing oil regularly, but was wondering if a synthetic oil would help mileage and prolong engine life. Thanks.....Ron

Gary B

Synthetic motor oils?

Hi Ron, I use Mobil 1 synthnetic oil in my vehicles, when we had our MH I switched it over to Mobil 1, it will not help with fuel mileage, synthnetics can handle higher heats much better than dino oils and this is a great advantage when towing or with MH where higher heats are common. Also and this may or may not be of help to you but the syn oils are much easier cranking in cold weather, IMO yes it will help with engine life, but then again changing oil regular (at shorter intervals will help also). :) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: :approve:

zigzagrv

Synthetic motor oils?

Gary, thanks for the input. I like the idea of the synthetics keeping their viscosity better than regular oils. I had heard or read somewhere that switching to synthetics on older engines caused leaks of gaskets and seals. This is probably my main concern about switching. Have you heard this? :question:

Gary B

Synthetic motor oils?

Hi Ron, a long time ago when syn. oils were first out (I'm talking 40+ yrs.) there was some problems, I have changed many vehicles to Mobil 1 and have never experinced any leaks, our fist Class A was a 87 Holiday Rambler with s Chev 454 it had about 60000 mile on it when I switched it to Mobil 1 and had no problems, our 2nd MH was a 94 Bounder with a Ford 460 it had 42000 miles on it when I switched it over and no problems. Mobil 1 is completely compatable with dino oils so if you ever needed to add oil and didn't have Mobil 1 handy you can add dino oil with no problems. :) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: :approve:

zigzagrv

Synthetic motor oils?

Thanks again, Gary, for the info. You've convinced me. Just one more question. I currently use 10w30. Should I use the same viscosity syn oil?

Snipman4

Synthetic motor oils?

Hey, just a word to the wise... It's a big NO NO to mix Synthetic and conventional oils.. you can switch back and forth, change w/ Syn than next change w/ convent, but never mix the 2 together. They won't mix properly, and they will seperate. Also, I have started using Mobil1 in my car, and I'm not impressed with it's longlevity. My car has an OB computer that tells you the oil life. I bought it used w/6000miles, oil was just changed, drove it to about 10,500 before the indicator reached 40%life left. I changed w/ Mobil1 and now at 13,500 it's reading 65%. They say you can go as long as 15,000 miles, I WOULD NOT TRY IT!!!. I did notice an increase in fuel economy when I did first change, I don't know if it was a fresh oil change or mobil1, but I did notice it... I went from about 20.5 to about 22( once again it's all computerized) I've been in the auto market (Retail, service, and quick lube) for a total of about 16yrs. Keep in mind--- If you do use Mobil1, you still need to change the Oil Filter ever 3000 miles, even if you don't change the oil, and you'll need to top it off, once again you need to top it with Mobil1 (unless you use a conventional oil and then you'd be changing the oil also) One last note... If you do use Mobil1, then switch back to a conventional oil, you need to change the filter also....(You can never assume in today's time that everyone does that still..you'd be suprised at how many people I run into that just want the oil changed and not the filter[trying to save a buck]).. Jim

Gary B

Synthetic motor oils?

Hi Snipman4, you have gotten some wrong information about Mobil 1, it is compatable with conventional mineral oils, Mobil and I do not recomend mixing them but as I posted if you need to add a quart and don't have Mobil 1 availble there is no problem with adding conventional oil. Mobil does not say you can go 15000 miles, but there is no need to change at 3000 mile either, I run mine 6500 miles all the time and have no problems. Definetly agree you need to change filter any time you change oil, you are right some folks think their saving money by not changing the filter, that is crazy, if your going to skip one then skip the oil and change the filter, and all fiters are not created equal. :) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: :approve:

Terry6

Synthetic motor oils?

Gary B, and all what kind of oil filter do you use? I aways use FRAM, but I don't rally know how they rate. I'm interested to what you all use. Thanks, Terry

Terry6

Synthetic motor oils?

Gary B, and all what kind of oil filter do you use? I aways use FRAM, but I don't rally know how they rate. I'm interested to know what you all use. Thanks, Terry

Gary B

Synthetic motor oils?

Hi Terry, I use mostly Napa filters, and some Mobil filters, Fram oil filters don't rate very high, their air filters are fine and fuel filters are ok, but here again. Fram has about 3 grades of oil filters. There was a web site where a fellow did a study of oil filters and rated them, but it most be gone now it won't come up. Also rated excellent were Wix, Baldwins, Fords, Napa, the STP filter that wally world sells, and Mobil's Mobil 1 filter but its overpriced in my book, unless you go for high mileage oil changes, but then I'd change the filter at sometime. Hope this helps. :) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: :approve:

Gary B

Synthetic motor oils?

Hi zigzagrv, thanks, thats the site I was looking for, I had an old address. :) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: :approve: